CALLING YARP FROM MATLAB 64 bit on Windows 7

CALLING YARP FROM MATLAB 64 bit on Windows 7

Tauros
Hi all,
i'm an italian student who is doing his master thesis about the icub simulator. I've installed yarp and icub on my computer but i can't get it work with matlab. I've followed these steps http://eris.liralab.it/wiki/Calling_yarp_from_Matlab but I have problem with Cmake in generating the output files.  Cmake gives me an error about the java_include_path and java_include_path2. I tried to set them manually but it doesn't work. I guess my problems are mostly because I'm running on a 64bit processor. Do you have any suggestion or a guide to follow? It is very important because without it, I can't start my thesis. Thank You!

Re: CALLING YARP FROM MATLAB 64 bit on Windows 7

Vadim Tikhanoff-2
Hi Salvatore,

You do not give much information in your mail, but I guess you are trying to run things on a windows machine 64 bit, since you are setting manually the java include paths otherwise in linux, sudo apt-get install swig default-jdk would have done the trick.

Therefore I tried it quickly on a clean windows7 machine (no java nor matlab installed) but it all went smoothly.
I just installed Java from scratch:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7u7-downloads-1836413.html

jdk-7u7-windows-x64.exe

cmake picked it up nicely.
The steps/guide you are following from http://eris.liralab.it/wiki/Calling_yarp_from_Matlab are correct.
Could you be a bit more specific on which type of architecture, java version etc you are using?.

Best,
Vadim

Re: CALLING YARP FROM MATLAB 64 bit on Windows 7

Vadim Tikhanoff-2
OK I just noticed the subject on the mail. You mention windows 7 64 bit...my bad..
Anyway try installing the java version from my previous mail and see how cmake behaves (you will need to delete the cache)
Best,
Vadim

Re: CALLING YARP FROM MATLAB 64 bit on Windows 7

Tauros
Hi Vadim,
   i`m able a follow your guide, but i have a new problem.
In section "Call yarp within Matlab" i found this problem:

LoadYarp;

??? Java exception occurred:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files
(x86)\swigwin-2.0.8\debug\jyarp.dll: Can't load IA
32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)

        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)

        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

        at LoadYarp.<init>(LoadYarp.java:20)

you have any idea for solve this problem.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,Salvatore

2012/9/18, Vadim Tikhanoff <[hidden email]>:

> OK I just noticed the subject on the mail. You mention windows 7 64 bit...my
> bad..
> Anyway try installing the java version from my previous mail and see how
> cmake behaves (you will need to delete the cache)
> Best,
> Vadim

Stéphane Lallée
I'm not sure about it, but when you compile the java bindings (jyarp.dll) be sure to do that in 32bits.

The same for yarp. Many of the dependencies are provided as 32bits and I've never been able to compile in 64bits till the end...

Stéphane Lallée

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona

http://specs.upf.edu/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

2012/9/19 Salvatore Pappalardo <[hidden email]>
Hi Vadim,
   i`m able a follow your guide, but i have a new problem.
In section "Call yarp within Matlab" i found this problem:

LoadYarp;

??? Java exception occurred:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files
(x86)\swigwin-2.0.8\debug\jyarp.dll: Can't load IA
32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)

        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)

        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

        at LoadYarp.<init>(LoadYarp.java:20)

you have any idea for solve this problem.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,Salvatore

2012/9/18, Vadim Tikhanoff <[hidden email]>:
> OK I just noticed the subject on the mail. You mention windows 7 64 bit...my
> bad..
> Anyway try installing the java version from my previous mail and see how
> cmake behaves (you will need to delete the cache)
> Best,
> Vadim

Secondo you i should install matlab in 32 bit??? Could be an a good idea??

2012/9/19, Stéphane Lallée <[hidden email]>:

> I'm not sure about it, but when you compile the java bindings (jyarp.dll)
> be sure to do that in 32bits.
>
> The same for yarp. Many of the dependencies are provided as 32bits and I've
> never been able to compile in 64bits till the end...
>

> Stéphane Lallée
>
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
> Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
> Universitat Pompeu Fabra
> *COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
> Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona*
> http://specs.upf.edu/ <http://www.sbri.fr>
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>

> 2012/9/19 Salvatore Pappalardo <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Vadim,
>>    i`m able a follow your guide, but i have a new problem.
>> In section "Call yarp within Matlab" i found this problem:
>>
>> LoadYarp;
>>
>> ??? Java exception occurred:
>> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files
>> (x86)\swigwin-2.0.8\debug\jyarp.dll: Can't load IA
>> 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at LoadYarp.<init>(LoadYarp.java:20)
>>
>> you have any idea for solve this problem.
>> Thank you for your help.
>> Regards,Salvatore
>>
>> 2012/9/18, Vadim Tikhanoff <[hidden email]>:
>> > OK I just noticed the subject on the mail. You mention windows 7 64
>> bit...my
>> > bad..
>> > Anyway try installing the java version from my previous mail and see
>> > how
>> > cmake behaves (you will need to delete the cache)
>> > Best,
>> > Vadim

I don't know anything about matlab. But there should be no problem loading 32bits dll from a 64bits environment...

Try first to compile the bindings in 32bits if you didn't do that (that's a choice you are making when choosing the compiler used by cmake the first time you generate your project).

Stéphane

2012/9/19 Salvatore Pappalardo <[hidden email]>
Secondo you i should install matlab in 32 bit??? Could be an a good idea??

2012/9/19, Stéphane Lallée <[hidden email]>:
> I'm not sure about it, but when you compile the java bindings (jyarp.dll)
> be sure to do that in 32bits.
>
> The same for yarp. Many of the dependencies are provided as 32bits and I've
> never been able to compile in 64bits till the end...
>

> Stéphane Lallée
>
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
> Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
> Universitat Pompeu Fabra
> *COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
> Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona*
> http://specs.upf.edu/ <http://www.sbri.fr>
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>

> 2012/9/19 Salvatore Pappalardo <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Vadim,
>>    i`m able a follow your guide, but i have a new problem.
>> In section "Call yarp within Matlab" i found this problem:
>>
>> LoadYarp;
>>
>> ??? Java exception occurred:
>> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files
>> (x86)\swigwin-2.0.8\debug\jyarp.dll: Can't load IA
>> 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at LoadYarp.<init>(LoadYarp.java:20)
>>
>> you have any idea for solve this problem.
>> Thank you for your help.
>> Regards,Salvatore
>>
>> 2012/9/18, Vadim Tikhanoff <[hidden email]>:
>> > OK I just noticed the subject on the mail. You mention windows 7 64
>> bit...my
>> > bad..
>> > Anyway try installing the java version from my previous mail and see
>> > how
>> > cmake behaves (you will need to delete the cache)
>> > Best,
>> > Vadim

I do not think Matlab 32Bit  it will change anything. The error is actually complaining about java.
Can you please try to uninstall java 64 bit (I think that was the problem from the start, sorry) and install the 32 bit version.
You will then have to clean yarp swig completely and rebuild it.
Let us know how it goes.
Vadim
Secondo you i should install matlab in 32 bit??? Could be an a good idea??

2012/9/19, Stéphane Lallée <[hidden email]>:

> I'm not sure about it, but when you compile the java bindings (jyarp.dll)
> be sure to do that in 32bits.
>
> The same for yarp. Many of the dependencies are provided as 32bits and I've
> never been able to compile in 64bits till the end...
>

> Stéphane Lallée
>
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
> Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
> Universitat Pompeu Fabra
> *COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
> Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona*
> http://specs.upf.edu/ <http://www.sbri.fr>
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>

> 2012/9/19 Salvatore Pappalardo <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Vadim,
>>    i`m able a follow your guide, but i have a new problem.
>> In section "Call yarp within Matlab" i found this problem:
>>
>> LoadYarp;
>>
>> ??? Java exception occurred:
>> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files
>> (x86)\swigwin-2.0.8\debug\jyarp.dll: Can't load IA
>> 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at LoadYarp.<init>(LoadYarp.java:20)
>>
>> you have any idea for solve this problem.
>> Thank you for your help.
>> Regards,Salvatore
>>
>> 2012/9/18, Vadim Tikhanoff <[hidden email]>:
>> > OK I just noticed the subject on the mail. You mention windows 7 64
>> bit...my
>> > bad..
>> > Anyway try installing the java version from my previous mail and see
>> > how
>> > cmake behaves (you will need to delete the cache)
>> > Best,
>> > Vadim

Ok, I confirm,  I tried with a 32 bit version Matlab and it is all ok. Sorry for all the mess.
I will update the documentation.
Best

Vadim
Secondo you i should install matlab in 32 bit??? Could be an a good idea??

2012/9/19, Stéphane Lallée <[hidden email]>:

> I'm not sure about it, but when you compile the java bindings (jyarp.dll)
> be sure to do that in 32bits.
>
> The same for yarp. Many of the dependencies are provided as 32bits and I've
> never been able to compile in 64bits till the end...
>

> Stéphane Lallée
>
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
> Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
> Universitat Pompeu Fabra
> *COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
> Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona*
> http://specs.upf.edu/ <http://www.sbri.fr>
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>

> 2012/9/19 Salvatore Pappalardo <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Vadim,
>>    i`m able a follow your guide, but i have a new problem.
>> In section "Call yarp within Matlab" i found this problem:
>>
>> LoadYarp;
>>
>> ??? Java exception occurred:
>> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files
>> (x86)\swigwin-2.0.8\debug\jyarp.dll: Can't load IA
>> 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
>>
>>         at LoadYarp.<init>(LoadYarp.java:20)
>>
>> you have any idea for solve this problem.
>> Thank you for your help.
>> Regards,Salvatore
>>
>> 2012/9/18, Vadim Tikhanoff <[hidden email]>:
>> > OK I just noticed the subject on the mail. You mention windows 7 64
>> bit...my
>> > bad..
>> > Anyway try installing the java version from my previous mail and see
>> > how
>> > cmake behaves (you will need to delete the cache)
>> > Best,
>> > Vadim

Hi to all,

i'm still having issues about yarp on a 64 bit platform. Now, chosing the 64 compiler, the cMake compiles. The problem is in the next step, when i build the visual studio solution, visual studio doesn't generate the jyarp.dll library. The error that i get is:

YARP_OSd.lib(YARP_OSd.dll) : fatal error LNK1112: module machine type 'x86' conflicts with target machine type 'x64'

Looking online it seems that the problem is the linker. Maybe because my source have been thought for a 32bit platform and i'm trying to compile them for a 64bit. I can't fix the linker option from visual studio. I don't understand which module was meant for a x86 archtecture. Thank you for your help.

Re: CALLING YARP FROM MATLAB 64 bit on Windows 7

adinuovo2
Dear Vadim,

Could you please confirm that on Windows 7 64bit it possible to work using all 32bit software (yarp-matlab-java) ?

Many thanks,
Alessandro

Re: CALLING YARP FROM MATLAB 64 bit on Windows 7

Vadim Tikhanoff-2
I haven't tried it myself, but will attempt it on a new virtual machine.
In any case, it is possible to compile everything in 64bit,  one has just to make sure that everything is consistently compiled in 64bit. This includes all dependencies ace,  java,  gtk...
The only difficulty, noted by Leo Pape, is to compile ipopt in 64bit.
More on this when i do my own installation + documentation.
Ciao
Vadim

adinuovo2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Vadim,

Could you please confirm that on Windows 7 64bit it possible to work using
all 32bit software (yarp-matlab-java) ?

Many thanks,
Alessandro

Re: CALLING YARP FROM MATLAB 64 bit on Windows 7

Alex Smith
Hi Vadim,

Was there any update on this, getting it working in 64 bit windows?

I am also having problems under ubuntu 12.04; the package default-jdk will not install, due to unmet dependancies:

default-jdk : Depends: default-jre (= 1:1.6-43ubuntu2)
                 Depends: openjdk-6-jdk (>= 6b23~pre11-1ubuntu1~)

If I try to install the dependencies it leads me to more dependencies which eventually leads to:

openjdk-6-jre-headless : Depends: ca-certificates-java but it is not going to be installed
                                  Depends: tzdata-java but it is not going to be installed
                                  Depends: libnss3-1d (>= 3.12.9+ckbi-1.82-0ubuntu4) but it is not going to be installed

Any help with this would be appreciated, I know it is not necessarily a iCub/yarp problem but maybe you have seen the problem before.

Regards,
Alex

Re: CALLING YARP FROM MATLAB 64 bit on Windows 7

Konstantinos Theofilis
Hi,

try:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

it would be a good idea to reboot after that.

Best regards,
Kostas Theofilis

On 21 Feb 2013, at 12:15, Alex Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Vadim,
>
> Was there any update on this, getting it working in 64 bit windows?
>
> I am also having problems under ubuntu 12.04; the package default-jdk will
> not install, due to unmet dependancies:
>
> default-jdk : Depends: default-jre (= 1:1.6-43ubuntu2)
>                 Depends: openjdk-6-jdk (>= 6b23~pre11-1ubuntu1~)
>
> If I try to install the dependencies it leads me to more dependencies which
> eventually leads to:
>
> openjdk-6-jre-headless : Depends: ca-certificates-java but it is not going
> to be installed
>                                  Depends: tzdata-java but it is not going
> to be installed
>                                  Depends: libnss3-1d (>=
> 3.12.9+ckbi-1.82-0ubuntu4) but it is not going to be installed
>
> Any help with this would be appreciated, I know it is not necessarily a
> iCub/yarp problem but maybe you have seen the problem before.
>
> Regards,
> Alex

Re: CALLING YARP FROM MATLAB 64 bit on Windows 7

Alex Smith
I managed to fix the broken package problem by using "aptitude" rather than "apt-get", which gave me options to repair the packages. Seems to be working so far.

Alex