Quantcast

Camera Lens Change?

Oskar Palinko
Hello,

Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to change the standard lens (4mm?) to a different one (8mm, 12mm) on the iCub cameras? Does it require a lot of disassembling? Are the lenses glued in?

Best,

Oskar Palinko
PhD Fellow
IIT/RBCS

Re: Camera Lens Change?

Stefano Saliceti
Hi Oskar,
lenses are just screwed in. There might be a set screw on top to prevent the lens from losing its focus. They're standard M12 lenses. You can replace those or remove the support from the board and expose the bare CCD and replace the support with another one of your choice.

If you have the latest head version the eyeball can be separated (the front part of the iris can be unscrewed from the eyeball) and this will allow for a wider lens to be fitted.

Hope this helps
Stefano

Re: Camera Lens Change?

Oskar Palinko
Hi Stefano,

Thanks for the quick answer and wealth of information. I didn't even notice that the front of the eye (iris) is a separate part! Do I need some special tools to get that part unscrewed?

On a similar topic, the iCub here in Osaka has a slightly different tilt of the eyes (right one looks higher than left one), even though there's only one degree of freedom to them. Do you have an idea how we could fix this mechanically?

Best,

Oskar

Re: Camera Lens Change?

Lorenzo Natale-2

> On a similar topic, the iCub here in Osaka has a slightly different tilt of the eyes
> (right one looks higher than left one), even though there's only one degree of
> freedom to them. Do you have an idea how we could fix this mechanically?

How many pixels? The mounting of the lenses should be done to minimize this offset but there is still some offset that you have to compensate in software.

Lorenzo

> Best,
>
> Oskar

Re: Camera Lens Change?

Oskar Palinko
Hi Lorenzo,

It's about 25 pixels difference.

Oskar

Re: Camera Lens Change?

Lorenzo Natale-2
I don't know how much is the usual offset we get after proper mounting, honestly 25 pixels looks too much. Of course the remaining amount can be compensated via software. Maybe Ugo or Stefano can be more precise.

Lorenzo

Re: Camera Lens Change?

julijenv
Hi Oskar,
In my point of view I do really think that first of all, mechanically (not at the level of the regulattion of the lens parallax) yuou may have an inssue - loosen screws.
Could you try to remove both back cover and face.
Could you make 2 pictures: one from front view and another from profile view (please hold the eyes tilt at the horizontal).
tk u in advance -
p.s: when this would be check I will give you further instructions to correct the parallax alignment.

JJ-icub support

Re: Camera Lens Change?

Oskar Palinko
Hi Julien,

Here are some photos. Let me know if you need different ones. I tried to rotate the eyes gently against each other. There seems to be just a little bit of play (backlash?) which doesn't seem to account for most of the  difference in pitch.

Cheers,

Oskar

Re: Camera Lens Change?

julijenv
Hi Oskar,
First, could you put as much as possible horizontal the head?
Next, could you please take 2 more pictures but from the left side of the robot?
Are the bulbs horizontal, in your point of view?
If not, try to play with those 2 screws on both eyes (see pictures below) in order to reach an horizontal plane in between eyes.

Make a test now to see how change the aligment.
Last but not the least, If you still need more precision follow the link below to dl the procedure for fine tweak lens parallax aligment
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5fog0crScjEUjdjT3BkOHpPOXc/view?usp=sharing

JJ - iCub Support.

Re: Camera Lens Change?

Oskar Palinko
Hi Julien,

Thanks, that was exactly what we needed! After loosening the indicated screws, we were able to adjust the orientation of the eyes. I'm attaching a photo of the much better eye alignment (see at the end).

I have a couple of more questions:

1. The link to the document from your previous email didn't work. It showed the photo that was already in the post. Could you please send us the document link so that we know what to do if we need a more involved fix?

2. Stefano mentioned earlier that it should be possible to unscrew the front of the eyeballs (irises) to install different lenses. We tried doing that gently with our fingers but we couldn't make them move. Do we need some tools to do this or do we need to disassemble the back of the eyeball to unscrew the front?

3. While looking at the difference in eye pitch, I noticed that the right eyeball's enclosing is loose. I'm attaching a video to show what exactly the problem is. Could you suggest a remedy?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vMmZ1G6VEFdWxoeUdaU3o3TTg/view?usp=sharing

Thank you,

Oskar

Re: Camera Lens Change?

julijenv
Hi Oskar,
sorry for the late reply I was in holidays,
so to answer to all your question point by point see below:
1) the link is :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5fog0crScjEd3U0UUw4d1FzSjg/view?usp=sharing

2) look ast the procedure link above to see how looks like the tool ( basically tweeser with last mm bent)

3) to remove this backlash you need to tighten the set screws (see following picture)

Hope it will help,
best of luck,
2J

Re: Camera Lens Change?

Oskar Palinko
Hi Julien,

Thank you for all the great information! All my questions are answered :)

Cheers,

Oskar