Quantcast

Come hack humanoids! VVV14 iCub Summer School call for participation

Come hack humanoids! VVV14 iCub Summer School call for participation

paulfitz
Administrator

This is a call for participation for Veni Vidi Vici 2014,
the ninth iCub Summer School. The school is a hackathon
for robotics researchers interested in any combination of
humanoids, free software, open-source hardware, and
Italian beaches. Those who would like to participate
should email their name, affiliation, and a CV (or
relevant website URL) to:
   [hidden email]
no later than:
   May 25th, 2014
Places are limited. Your application will be acknowledged
within two business days, and notification of placement
will be made on June 1st, 2014. If placed, you will be
expected to register and pay by June 20th, 2014. The
school website is available at:
   http://www.icub.org/summerschool
Best regards,
   The VVV 2014 team

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

VVV 2014, the Ninth iCub Summer School

Aim:
The iCub Summer School, "Veni Vidi Vici", serves to
consolidate and disseminate skills in software engineering
for humanoid robots. Our goal is to foster long-lived
academic collaboration on robot software across the
boundaries and lifetimes of individual projects.
The iCub summer school is a peer-to-peer event; there are
no lectures, and no strict division of instructors and
students. All participants are expected to be competent
C/C++ programmers with an interest in working
with others (and an agenda of their own). The school
schedule will be organized flexibly around informal
tutorials from participants on modules they are working on
or interested in.

Format:
The school is structured as a series of hands-on practical
laboratory sessions, and informal talks. Two full iCub
humanoids will be available for participants to work with.
We will have a dedicated local network, with wireless.
Participants are expected to bring their own laptop.

Topics:
Motor control, robot design, image processing,
communication, software engineering, machine learning,
free software, open-source hardware.

Location:
This year the school will be hosted on the Italian Riviera,
at the Suite Hotel Nettuno in Sestri Levante. See the school
website for venue details.

Timetable:
We begin the school in the morning of Monday, July 21 2014,
and finish in the evening of Wednesday, July 30 2014 (with
people leaving during Thursday, July 31 2014). Sunday the
27th will be a free day (individual participants may
choose an alternate free day).

Cost:
The summer school registration fee is 1400 euro. This fee
includes the school itself, food, and accommodation. Rooms
are shared between two people. A single room is 400 euro
extra (and subject to availability).

Our sponsors:
This year, the school is sponsored by the Istituto Italiano di
Tecnologia.
   http://www.iit.it/icub

Comments on school from previous years:

   Nieves: A really beautiful experience! One of the best in my
   life. I have learnt a lot about robotics, humanity and
   friendship! Thank you very much!

   Serena: my first iCub summer school .. really hope the first
   of many! I had so much fun, thanks to all!

   Giacomo: Great experience! I really enjoyed accessing such
   advanced robots, and working together with great guys.
   The location was beautiful too.

   Federico: I will never forget this experience. A unique
   experience for life!! Working with a complete
   free-software/hardware humanoid robot it's an honor, and also
   in this nice place with great, friendly, collaborative
   and enthusiastic people with such a weather. Just amazing.
   I would like to give a lot of thanks to the organizers,
   they did a great job again. (And the food was the great!).
   And ..., and... . Hope to see you soon!

   Alexis: Such an amazing time with such wonderful people!
   Interesting discussions, helpful and giving people and an
   awesome location. :) Thanks everyone! It was a good time
   living deeply and intensively, just what I needed! I hope to
   see you again soon. Pura vida!

   Zenon: thank you for organizing this great summer school
   and putting so much time and effort into it....so much to
   learn and so much fun at such an awesome spot! viva vvv
   for many more years to come!