Details on the design of the iCub hand

Giuseppe
This post was updated on .
Dear all,

I've found some information on the design of the icub hand on this paper [1].
I would be very grateful if anyone can confirm if the following design information are still correct and up to date with respect to the hand model mounted on the red iCub, until the last year (August 2013).

- The hand has 20 degrees of freedom
- 9 out of 20 DoF are actuated by Faulhauber 1016M012G DC motors placed in the forearm, voltage controlled
+ The motors are pulling Berkley Fireline tendons  (a polyethylene based braided material) - OR
+ 18 Carl Stahl stainless steel microcable tendons are sliding in a tube coated with teflon (is THIS correct?)
- 21.5 mNm is the maximum torque that the motors alone can produce
- Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene is the main component enveloping the hand (excluding the tactile sensors)
- The hand is 104 millimeters long (from the middle fingertip to the bottom of the wrist, measured from the palm as in [2], p. 11)

I also have the following questions:
- How large is the icub hand? (width measured across the metacarpals, hand breadth according to [2], p. 12)
- How thick is the icub hand? (depth distance between the palm and the metacarpal of the middle finger, as described in [2], p. 18)
- Which is the cad file and folder modelling the hand on svn?

Many thanks for your help,
Giuseppe

[1] The Initial Design and Manufacturing Process of a Low Cost Hand for the Robot iCub, Davis, N.G. Tsagarakis and Darwin G. Caldwell, 2008
[2] ANTHROPOMETRY OF THE AIR- FORCE FEMALE HAND, JOHN Wt. GARRETT, MARCH 1970 - http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~bctill/papers/mocap/Garrett_1970b.pdf

Re: Details on the design of the iCub hand

Stefano Saliceti
Hi Giuseppe,
some quick answer:

Updated paper with design description for iCub Hand:

Design, realization and sensorization of the dexterous iCub hand
Authors:
Alexander Schmitz, Ugo Pattacini, Francesco Nori, Lorenzo Natale, Giorgio Metta, Giulio Sandini
Published:
2010/12/6
At:
IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids)
From:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=5686825

AS far as the cad files go, please take a look at:

https://svn.robotology.eu/repos/iCubHardware/trunk/mechanics/public/icub1_icub2/

you will find:

rc_tlr_011_a_001_right_hand
        .asm file = CREO Assembly File
        .drw file = CREO Native Drawing file (you can get all sort of dimension form here)
        .dxf file = general 2D drawing version of DRW file.

Please let us know if you prefer the files in another exchange format (i.e step, iges, stl etc etc).
We can extract them from the original CREO Parametric and convert them for you

Cheers

Stefano

Re: Details on the design of the iCub hand

Giuseppe
Hi Stefano,

Many thanks for your answers and help. At first look, the paper should have every detail needed.

Concerning the CADs, I am not really expert of mechanic design, so if the files can be opened with Solidworks it should not be a problem, otherwise it would be great if you can point me to a place where to get stl files (I guess that can be opened with anything?).

Best,
Giuseppe

From:
[...]

http://robotcub-hackers.2198711.n2.nabble.com/Details-on-the-design-of-the-iCub-hand-tp7578983p7578993.html
To unsubscribe from Details on the design of the iCub hand, click here.
NAML

Re: Details on the design of the iCub hand

Stefano Saliceti

Hi,

solidworks should have a good suppor of PTC native files.

Try that and let us know.

We can provide you the STL if you need them.

Cheers

S.

[...]

Sent from the RobotCub Hackers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.