Quantcast

Hand's joints of iCub in a Grasping toolbox called Simox

Hand's joints of iCub in a Grasping toolbox called Simox

josemscnogueira
This post was updated on .
Hey guys,

I'm a MSc student at Instituto Superior Tecnico - Lisboa and I am doing my master's thesis right now. My thesis deals with Grasping Optimization with the iCub model.

I've decided to do initially testing in simulation since my work will require a LOT of experimenting. My main goal is to apply Bayesian optimization and use a grasping metric, so the robot can find autonomously the best grasp through experience.

Right now, I'm using a simulation/grasping toolbox called Simox (I don't know if you ever heard of it):
http://simox.sourceforge.net/

The hand model in this library defines 20 joints:

<Node name="Left Hand Thumb Joint1" />
<Node name="Left Hand Thumb Joint2" />
<Node name="Left Hand Thumb Joint3" />
<Node name="Left Hand Thumb Joint4" />
<Node name="Left Hand Index Joint1"  />
<Node name="Left Hand Index Joint2"  />
<Node name="Left Hand Index Joint3" />
<Node name="Left Hand Index Joint4" />
<Node name="Left Hand Middle Joint1" />
<Node name="Left Hand Middle Joint2" />
<Node name="Left Hand Middle Joint3" />
<Node name="Left Hand Middle Joint4" />
<Node name="Left Hand Ring Joint1" />
<Node name="Left Hand Ring Joint2" />
<Node name="Left Hand Ring Joint3" />
<Node name="Left Hand Ring Joint4" />
<Node name="Left Hand Pinky Joint1" />
<Node name="Left Hand Pinky Joint2" />
<Node name="Left Hand Pinky Joint3" />
<Node name="Left Hand Pinky Joint4" />

With the exception of the thumb finger, joint 1 represents finger's adduction/abduction, while the other three represent all flexion joints.
The thumb has two flexion joints, one for adduction/abduction and one that seems like the Carpometacarpal joint.

The problem that I'm having right now is that I wish to map the joints of http://wiki.icub.org/wiki/ICub_joints to the ones I've just presented. I have a set of collected data that defines types of grasps. The problem is that this data collection used the iCub's wiki joint definition:

7 hand_finger Hand finger adduction/abduction
8 thumb_oppose Thumb opposition
9 thumb_proximal Thumb proximal flexion/extension
10 thumb_distal Thumb distal flexion
11 index_proximal Index proximal flexion/extension
12 index_distal Index distal flexio
13 middle_proximal Middle proximal flexion/extension
14 middle_distal Middle distal flexion
15 pinky                Ring and little finger flexion

I was just wondering if any one has faced this problem or has any suggestion for how I need to proceed.

Thanks in advance :D

Kindly, José Nogueira

Re: Hand's joints of iCub in a Grasping toolbox called Simox

Lorenzo Natale-2
Dear Jose,
We have indeed used Simox in collaborative work with its developers @ KIT. There should be already a model for the iCub, Ali (in cc) should know more on this, otherwise I recommend you get in touch with Nikolaus Vahrenkamp.

Lorenzo