Quantcast

Inquiry about friction in iCub simulator

Inquiry about friction in iCub simulator

Jinhyung Kim
Hi all,

When I conduct experiment using iCub simulator, sometimes I have problems because of friction. It seems that it is not possible to slide one object which is on the other object. I feel that it is because of friction between objects.

So what I want to ask is,

1. Is there any way to change the friction of object or table, by changing something in the simulator or configuration without changing source?

2. Or changing source is the only way to solve the problem? Is somebody using simulator with source code changed? Is there any problem? and could you please help me which part should I change specifically?

Regards,

Jinhyung

Jinhyung Kim
Cognitive Neuro-Robotics Lab,
Department of Electrical Engineering, KAIST
Cell: 010-8025-9908

Re: Inquiry about friction in iCub simulator

Tanis Mar

Hi Jinhyung,

I had the same problem, caused because on the ini file the contact friction parameter was set to ‘inf’ by default. In order to modify it, go to $ICUB_DIRS/share/iCub/contexts/simConfig, open the file ode_params.ini, and change the value of contactFrictionCoefficient to something that is not ‘inf’ (for example 1 works good for most cases).

Be aware that older versions of icub-main did not have this parameter explicit on the .ini file, so you’ ll need to have a relatively new version.

By the way, the rc-hackers list is slowly being deprecated in favor of the robotology github issues, which are much easier to track and control, so please refer there if further problems may arise.

Hope it helps,

Best,

Tanis Mar

Re: Inquiry about friction in iCub simulator

pattacini

Thanks a lot Tanis for your email.

I’d like only to add a small comment.

Please read this post on how to edit correctly a configuration file: https://github.com/robotology/QA/issues/42.