Quantcast

Power supply failure

Patricia Shaw
Dear iCub support,

The smaller of the two power supplies, supplied with the iCub at Aberystwyth has failed due to an electrical short between various components inside.

Is there any manufacturers guarantee for fixing or replacing the power unit or a suitable alternative that you recommend for us to get?

Many thanks,
Patricia.

Dr Patricia Shaw
Lecturer / Darlithydd
Department of Computer Science / Adran Cyfrifiadureg
Prifysgol Aberystwyth University

email/e-bost: [hidden email]
Tel/ffôn: (01970) 62 2432
office/swyddfa: 126 Physical Sciences

Re: Power supply failure

Stefano Saliceti

Hi Patricia,

from our records it looks like your power supply is no longer under manufacturer warranty.

You can find the specs of the small power supply here:

http://wiki.icub.org/wiki/Power_supply

The one you’re looking at is: XFR-1.2Kw-35-35, Xantrex

This would be a drop in replacement from the one you already own.

Please let us know if you need help sourcing it.

Talk you soon

Stefano

Re: Power supply failure

Patricia Shaw
Hi Stefano,

The particular power supply mentioned here no longer seems to be
produced, or I cannot seem to find it on either of the web pages linked
to from the wiki.

What do you suggest as a suitable alternative, and where can I obtain
one from?

Thanks,
Patricia.

On Tue, 2014-08-05 at 07:44 +0000, Stefano Saliceti wrote:

> Hi Patricia,
>
> from our records it looks like your power supply is no longer under
> manufacturer warranty.
>

> You can find the specs of the small power supply here:
>

> http://wiki.icub.org/wiki/Power_supply
>

> The one you’re looking at is:XFR-1.2Kw-35-35, Xantrex
>
> This would be a drop in replacement from the one you already own.
>

> Please let us know if you need help sourcing it.
>
> Talk you soon
>
> Stefano

indeed we migrated to a new kind of power supply (which can be sourced from RS locally):

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/bench-power-supplies/6736749/?searchTerm=673-6749&relevancy-data=636F3D3126696E3D4931384E525353746F636B4E756D6265724D504E266C753D656E266D6D3D6D61746368616C6C26706D3D5E5C647B337D5B5C732D2F255C2E2C5D5C647B332C347D2426706F3D313426736E3D592673743D52535F53544F434B5F4E554D4245522677633D4E4F4E45267573743D3637332D3637343926

The only disadvantage being you need a small modification to the icub harness from the power supplies to the robot itself which we can quickly make and test in house if you ship us the current harness you use.

For the shipping details I will contact you in a further email (I just want to check with the supplier if they have a repair Service within UK which might be economically convenient for you).

One quick question for the records:
Did you try unplugging the iCub and turn on the Power Supply? (Just to rule out possible failure in the robot leading to premature death of the Power Supply).

Talk you soon
Stefano

The particular power supply mentioned here no longer seems to be produced, or I cannot seem to find it on either of the web pages linked to from the wiki.

What do you suggest as a suitable alternative, and where can I obtain one from?

Thanks,
Patricia.

On Tue, 2014-08-05 at 07:44 +0000, Stefano Saliceti wrote:

> Hi Patricia,
>
> from our records it looks like your power supply is no longer under
> manufacturer warranty.
>

> You can find the specs of the small power supply here:
>

> http://wiki.icub.org/wiki/Power_supply
>

> The one you’re looking at is:XFR-1.2Kw-35-35, Xantrex
>
> This would be a drop in replacement from the one you already own.
>

> Please let us know if you need help sourcing it.
>
> Talk you soon
>
> Stefano

Thank you for the updated version.  We were going through the standard
start-up procedure of switching on the power units, before switching on
the green switches to the iCub.  It was straight after switching on the
first power unit that it shorted.  The description from our technician:
"There has been a short between two components which were badly fitted.
Those two components, plus at least two major components are now
short-circuit."
Before ordering this unit, I will also ask him to check the larger power
unit in case that has a similar issue.  For our records, what is the
replacement for the other unit?

I'm not sure what you mean by the harness for the robot, is this related
to the cord that connects the iCub to the power supply?  If you could
send details I will ask if our technician is able to make the necessary
modifications.

Thanks,
Patricia.