Problems with firmware

Stéphane Lallée
Hi all !

After a major update (flashing the USB stick of the robot, moving to a new set of machines) we are encountering problems with apparently the firware both on the iKart and the PC104 (see attached logs).

The firwmare flashing was fine on the iKart. On the PC104 we had one board not updated correctly (MAIS of the left hand).

We also report that by default when running ikart_start.sh script it tries to instanciate iCubInterface with the .ini files of the default robot context, instead of the iKart one (probably due to priorities in the folders) We fixed that by specifying to run iCubInterface from a specific .ini file with a name different from iCubInterface.ini.

Any help on starting again our robot would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance,
Stéphane

logIkart.txt (54K) Download Attachment
logPC104.txt (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems with firmware

Alberto Cardellino
>From the log the error I see is

>> Instantiating network net_headtorso...yarpdev: ***ERROR*** could not find device <icubheadcalibrator>

can you please check if this module has been set to ON in the ccmake (on the pc104 side) in order to have it compiled?

Thanks,
Alberto

Re: Problems with firmware

Maxime-Petit
Hello Hackers,

I have the same problem when trying to launch iCubInterface from pc104 after an update juste a couple of hours ago : a segmentation fault at the end (see log similar to Stephane's)

The headcalibrator is not there anymore, according to the github repo it has been removed yesterday (causing trouble with firmware 80). I have desactivated the head part in the icub.ini file but the programm still want to open it.

>From the log the error I see is

>> Instantiating network net_headtorso...yarpdev: ***ERROR*** could not find device <icubheadcalibrator>

can you please check if this module has been set to ON in the ccmake (on the pc104 side) in order to have it compiled?

Thanks,
Alberto

After a major update (flashing the USB stick of the robot, moving to a new set of machines) we are encountering problems with apparently the firware both on the iKart and the PC104 (see attached logs).

The firwmare flashing was fine on the iKart. On the PC104 we had one board not updated correctly (MAIS of the left hand).

We also report that by default when running ikart_start.sh script it tries to instanciate iCubInterface with the .ini files of the default robot context, instead of the iKart one (probably due to priorities in the folders) We fixed that by specifying to run iCubInterface from a specific .ini file with a name different from iCubInterface.ini.

Any help on starting again our robot would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance,
Stéphane

http://robotcub-hackers.2198711.n2.nabble.com/Problems-with-firmware-tp7578969p7578972.html
To start a new topic under RobotCub Hackers, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from RobotCub Hackers, click here.
NAML

iCubInterface_SegFault_London_29_08_14.log (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems with firmware

pattacini

Hi Maxime, hi Stephane

The icub software you pulled through github (the HEAD) is no longer compatible with the old firmware.

For the new firmware, apparently, there is no need for the calibrators; that’s why Marco has just started removing them.

You must flash the new firmware then.

Ciao,

Ugo

I have the same problem when trying to launch iCubInterface from pc104 after an update juste a couple of hours ago : a segmentation fault at the end (see log similar to Stephane's)

The headcalibrator is not there anymore, according to the github repo it has been removed yesterday (causing trouble with firmware 80). I have desactivated the head part in the icub.ini file but the programm still want to open it.

>From the log the error I see is

>> Instantiating network net_headtorso...yarpdev: ***ERROR*** could not find device <icubheadcalibrator>

can you please check if this module has been set to ON in the ccmake (on the pc104 side) in order to have it compiled?

Thanks,
Alberto

After a major update (flashing the USB stick of the robot, moving to a new set of machines) we are encountering problems with apparently the firware both on the iKart and the PC104 (see attached logs).

The firwmare flashing was fine on the iKart. On the PC104 we had one board not updated correctly (MAIS of the left hand).

We also report that by default when running ikart_start.sh script it tries to instanciate iCubInterface with the .ini files of the default robot context, instead of the iKart one (probably due to priorities in the folders) We fixed that by specifying to run iCubInterface from a specific .ini file with a name different from iCubInterface.ini.

Any help on starting again our robot would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance,
Stéphane

http://robotcub-hackers.2198711.n2.nabble.com/Problems-with-firmware-tp7578969p7578972.html

To start a new topic under RobotCub Hackers, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from RobotCub Hackers, click here.
NAML

iCubInterface_SegFault_London_29_08_14.log (7K) Download Attachment

Sent from the RobotCub Hackers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Problems with firmware

Maxime-Petit
Hi,

By "flash the new firmware", do you mean the usb stick inside pc104 or just taking the new firmware (> 80)  in the old svn repo of icub/firmware/build and load them with canLoader ?

./Max

http://robotcub-hackers.2198711.n2.nabble.com/Problems-with-firmware-tp7578969p7578974.html
To start a new topic under RobotCub Hackers, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from RobotCub Hackers, click here.
NAML

Re: Problems with firmware

Stéphane Lallée
We flashed from the old repo but got this error.

Stéphane Lallée

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona

http://specs.upf.edu/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

By "flash the new firmware", do you mean the usb stick inside pc104 or just taking the new firmware (> 80)  in the old svn repo of icub/firmware/build and load them with canLoader ?

./Max

Hi Maxime, hi Stephane

The icub software you pulled through github (the HEAD) is no longer compatible with the old firmware.

For the new firmware, apparently, there is no need for the calibrators; that’s why Marco has just started removing them.

You must flash the new firmware then.

Ciao,

Ugo

I have the same problem when trying to launch iCubInterface from pc104 after an update juste a couple of hours ago : a segmentation fault at the end (see log similar to Stephane's)

The headcalibrator is not there anymore, according to the github repo it has been removed yesterday (causing trouble with firmware 80). I have desactivated the head part in the icub.ini file but the programm still want to open it.

>From the log the error I see is

>> Instantiating network net_headtorso...yarpdev: ***ERROR*** could not find device <icubheadcalibrator>

can you please check if this module has been set to ON in the ccmake (on the pc104 side) in order to have it compiled?

Thanks,
Alberto

Re: Problems with firmware

pattacini

I mean the firmware of the embedded board, not the usb stick.

Ugo

I have the same problem when trying to launch iCubInterface from pc104 after an update juste a couple of hours ago : a segmentation fault at the end (see log similar to Stephane's)

The headcalibrator is not there anymore, according to the github repo it has been removed yesterday (causing trouble with firmware 80). I have desactivated the head part in the icub.ini file but the programm still want to open it.

>From the log the error I see is

>> Instantiating network net_headtorso...yarpdev: ***ERROR*** could not find device <icubheadcalibrator>

can you please check if this module has been set to ON in the ccmake (on the pc104 side) in order to have it compiled?

Thanks,
Alberto

Re: Problems with firmware

pattacini

Hi Stephane,

I’m not closely following these new low level developments so I’m afraid I’m not the one can solve the issue.

Said that, I’ve overheard that somehow the calibrators will cease to be used.

If you pulled the latest icub release from github you’ve certainly realized that the module icubheadcalibrator has disappeared indeed.

However, within the icub.ini file used by your robot there is still a pointer to that calibrator. Could you try to comment it out and see whether this will help?

[net_headtorso]

file            icub_head_torso.ini

device          canmotioncontrol

//calibrator      icubheadcalibrator

canbusdevice    cfw2can

Ciao,

Ugo

I have the same problem when trying to launch iCubInterface from pc104 after an update juste a couple of hours ago : a segmentation fault at the end (see log similar to Stephane's)

The headcalibrator is not there anymore, according to the github repo it has been removed yesterday (causing trouble with firmware 80). I have desactivated the head part in the icub.ini file but the programm still want to open it.

>From the log the error I see is

>> Instantiating network net_headtorso...yarpdev: ***ERROR*** could not find device <icubheadcalibrator>

can you please check if this module has been set to ON in the ccmake (on the pc104 side) in order to have it compiled?

Thanks,
Alberto

Re: Problems with firmware

Marco Randazzo

Dear Stephane, Dear Maxime,

You need to contact icub-support.

They can provide you precise step by step instructions about how to upgrade your system: iCubHeadCalibrator does not work with firmware build 80, so it has been completely removed from the repository. Depending on many factors, icub-support will decide to upgrade your system to use robotInterface (longer), or just replace iCubHeadCalibrator with parametricCalibrator (quick fix).

Cheers,

MarcoR

I have the same problem when trying to launch iCubInterface from pc104 after an update juste a couple of hours ago : a segmentation fault at the end (see log similar to Stephane's)

The headcalibrator is not there anymore, according to the github repo it has been removed yesterday (causing trouble with firmware 80). I have desactivated the head part in the icub.ini file but the programm still want to open it.

>From the log the error I see is

>> Instantiating network net_headtorso...yarpdev: ***ERROR*** could not find device <icubheadcalibrator>

can you please check if this module has been set to ON in the ccmake (on the pc104 side) in order to have it compiled?

Thanks,
Alberto

After a major update (flashing the USB stick of the robot, moving to a new set of machines) we are encountering problems with apparently the firware both on the iKart and the PC104 (see attached logs).

The firwmare flashing was fine on the iKart. On the PC104 we had one board not updated correctly (MAIS of the left hand).

We also report that by default when running ikart_start.sh script it tries to instanciate iCubInterface with the .ini files of the default robot context, instead of the iKart one (probably due to priorities in the folders) We fixed that by specifying to run iCubInterface from a specific .ini file with a name different from iCubInterface.ini.

Any help on starting again our robot would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance,
Stéphane

http://robotcub-hackers.2198711.n2.nabble.com/Problems-with-firmware-tp7578969p7578972.html

To start a new topic under RobotCub Hackers, email [hidden email]

To unsubscribe from RobotCub Hackers, click here.
NAML

Image removed by sender.iCubInterface_SegFault_London_29_08_14.log (7K) Download Attachment

Sent from the RobotCub Hackers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

http://robotcub-hackers.2198711.n2.nabble.com/Problems-with-firmware-tp7578969p7578974.html

To start a new topic under RobotCub Hackers, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from RobotCub Hackers, click here.
NAML

Sent from the RobotCub Hackers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Problems with firmware

Stéphane Lallée
Erf... So it really becomes hazardous to pull the iCub repo... :-/

Envoyé à partir de mon Windows Phone

They can provide you precise step by step instructions about how to upgrade your system: iCubHeadCalibrator does not work with firmware build 80, so it has been completely removed from the repository. Depending on many factors, icub-support will decide to upgrade your system to use robotInterface (longer), or just replace iCubHeadCalibrator with parametricCalibrator (quick fix).

Cheers,

MarcoR

I have the same problem when trying to launch iCubInterface from pc104 after an update juste a couple of hours ago : a segmentation fault at the end (see log similar to Stephane's)

The headcalibrator is not there anymore, according to the github repo it has been removed yesterday (causing trouble with firmware 80). I have desactivated the head part in the icub.ini file but the programm still want to open it.

>From the log the error I see is

>> Instantiating network net_headtorso...yarpdev: ***ERROR*** could not find device <icubheadcalibrator>

can you please check if this module has been set to ON in the ccmake (on the pc104 side) in order to have it compiled?

Thanks,
Alberto

Re: Problems with firmware

Marco Randazzo

An announcement was posted on the mailing list about one month ago. The mail was also explicitly mentioning the fact that it was a major upgrade and was encouraging you to contact icub-support for help…

Marco

Erf... So it really becomes hazardous to pull the iCub repo... :-/

Envoyé à partir de mon Windows Phone

They can provide you precise step by step instructions about how to upgrade your system: iCubHeadCalibrator does not work with firmware build 80, so it has been completely removed from the repository. Depending on many factors, icub-support will decide to upgrade your system to use robotInterface (longer), or just replace iCubHeadCalibrator with parametricCalibrator (quick fix).

Cheers,

MarcoR

I have the same problem when trying to launch iCubInterface from pc104 after an update juste a couple of hours ago : a segmentation fault at the end (see log similar to Stephane's)

The headcalibrator is not there anymore, according to the github repo it has been removed yesterday (causing trouble with firmware 80). I have desactivated the head part in the icub.ini file but the programm still want to open it.

>From the log the error I see is

>> Instantiating network net_headtorso...yarpdev: ***ERROR*** could not find device <icubheadcalibrator>

can you please check if this module has been set to ON in the ccmake (on the pc104 side) in order to have it compiled?

Thanks,
Alberto

Re: Problems with firmware

Stéphane Lallée
Hi Marco,

Yes I noticed the mail, it is why I postponed the update until now. I effectively did the firmware update, but the crash I have is a segfault, not a gentle shutdown with the error message about the required firmware update...

Anyway, my goal is just to fix it as soon as possible (summer school in the lab next week), not to argue about the transparency level of the iCub developments (which is getting better indeed ;-) )