Reading from an IP camera

Stéphane Lallée
Hi all !

We are trying to read an image stream from an IP camera. We are able to display it in a browser, what we would like to do is to retrieve the images through a yarp port.

We tried compiling yarp with the mjpeg carrier on, and then :
yarpview /view
yarp connect http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port /view mjpeg

But nothing happens...
I'm pretty sure somebody does that before, but I cannot find more than this page : http://wiki.icub.org/yarpdoc/yarp_http.html#yarp_http_recv_images

which is basically sending images "as" an IP camera...

Any help is welcome :)

Stéphane Lallée

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona

http://specs.upf.edu/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Re: Reading from an IP camera

Carlos Beltran

Hi Stephane,

It has been a long time since a touched yarp the last time but giving a fast look at the code it sounds like yarp is supporting only the server part of the MJPEG streaming (I guess streaming the firewire on-board robot cameras). What you are asking for sounds like a MJPEG client.

I am sure Paul can support on developing a client but if any help is needed I have some code that could be integrated into YARP.

Best,

Carlos.

Photo 01-10-12 14 51 16

Carlos Beltran-Gonzalez

Senior Technician

Pattern Analysis and Computer Vision

Via Morego, 30 16163 Genova

e-mail: [hidden email]

tel: 010.71781880

www.iit.it/pavis.html

yarp connect <a href="http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port">http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port /view mjpeg

But nothing happens...

I'm pretty sure somebody does that before, but I cannot find more than this page : http://wiki.icub.org/yarpdoc/yarp_http.html#yarp_http_recv_images

which is basically sending images "as" an IP camera...

Any help is welcome :)

Stéphane Lallée

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona

http://specs.upf.edu/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Re: Reading from an IP camera

paulfitz
Administrator
Hi Stephane,

You may need to specify more of the url if the camera doesn't serve at
the "root" - for example, for this random square in Sweden:
   http://195.67.26.73/mjpg/video.mjpg
Here's the connection line needed:
   yarp connect /195.67.26.73:80 /view mjpeg+path./mjpg/video.mjpg
(note the funny-looking +path. part) or equivalently:
   yarp name register /webcam mjpeg+path./mjpg/video.mjpg 195.67.26.73 80
   yarp connect /webcam /view
Not super user-friendly, sorry!  And forgot to add path in the
documentation (it is here
http://wiki.icub.org/yarpdoc/classyarp_1_1os_1_1MjpegCarrier.html#_details
but with garbled formatting).

Let me know how it goes,
Cheers,
Paul

On 03/26/2014 04:37 PM, Stéphane Lallée wrote:

> Hi all !
>
> We are trying to read an image stream from an IP camera. We are able
> to display it in a browser, what we would like to do is to retrieve
> the images through a yarp port.
>
> We tried compiling yarp with the mjpeg carrier on, and then :
> yarpview /view
> yarp connect <a href="http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port">http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port /view mjpeg
>
> But nothing happens...
> I'm pretty sure somebody does that before, but I cannot find more than
> this page :
> http://wiki.icub.org/yarpdoc/yarp_http.html#yarp_http_recv_images
>
> which is basically sending images "as" an IP camera...
>
> Any help is welcome :)
>
> Stéphane Lallée
>
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
> Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
> Universitat Pompeu Fabra
> /COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
> Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona/
> http://specs.upf.edu/
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/13534_NeoTech

Re: Reading from an IP camera

Stéphane Lallée
Thanks both. We'll give a try with that.
The IP camera in question is actually a cell phone with android, and to access it with the browser we just input the IP, no additional path...
Il'll try looking at this more in detail :)

Stéphane Lallée

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona

http://specs.upf.edu/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Hi Stephane,

You may need to specify more of the url if the camera doesn't serve at
the "root" - for example, for this random square in Sweden:
   http://195.67.26.73/mjpg/video.mjpg
Here's the connection line needed:
   yarp connect /195.67.26.73:80 /view mjpeg+path./mjpg/video.mjpg
(note the funny-looking +path. part) or equivalently:
   yarp name register /webcam mjpeg+path./mjpg/video.mjpg <a href="tel:195.67.26.73%2080" value="+19567267380">195.67.26.73 80
   yarp connect /webcam /view
Not super user-friendly, sorry!  And forgot to add path in the
documentation (it is here
http://wiki.icub.org/yarpdoc/classyarp_1_1os_1_1MjpegCarrier.html#_details
but with garbled formatting).

Let me know how it goes,
Cheers,
Paul

On 03/26/2014 04:37 PM, Stéphane Lallée wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> We are trying to read an image stream from an IP camera. We are able
> to display it in a browser, what we would like to do is to retrieve
> the images through a yarp port.
>
> We tried compiling yarp with the mjpeg carrier on, and then :
> yarpview /view
> yarp connect http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port /view mjpeg
>
> But nothing happens...
> I'm pretty sure somebody does that before, but I cannot find more than
> this page :
> http://wiki.icub.org/yarpdoc/yarp_http.html#yarp_http_recv_images
>
> which is basically sending images "as" an IP camera...
>
> Any help is welcome :)
>
> Stéphane Lallée
>
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
> Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
> Universitat Pompeu Fabra
> /COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
> Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona/
> http://specs.upf.edu/
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~*

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/13534_NeoTech

Re: Reading from an IP camera

paulfitz
Administrator
Hi Stephane,

Hmm.  Try doing:
   curl -o log.txt <a href="http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port">http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port
(you'll need to kill this with ^C after a few seconds to stop loggin).
Then make sure log.txt looks something like this:
   HTTP/1.0 200 OK
   Cache-Control: no-cache
   Pragma: no-cache

If there are major differences I'd be interested to see them, and they
might give a clue as to what is up.  MJPEG-over-HTTP is not really a
standard, just an ad-hoc thing.
Cheers,
Paul

On 03/26/2014 07:35 PM, Stéphane Lallée wrote:

> [...]
>     > Any help is welcome :)
>     >
>     > Stéphane Lallée
>     >
>     > *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>     > Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
>     > Universitat Pompeu Fabra
>     > /COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
>     > Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona/
>     > http://specs.upf.edu/
>     > *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book
>     > "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases
>     and their
>     > applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field,
>     > this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!

Re: Reading from an IP camera

Stéphane Lallée
Hi Paul !

This command is actually not receiving anything...
I'm actually posting on the behalf of a friend. He managed to grab the image stream in python, but now he is struggling with the "setExternal" problem related to python bindings that came up a while ago in the mailing list...

Stéphane Lallée

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

  curl -o log.txt http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port
> [...]

    > We tried compiling yarp with the mjpeg carrier on, and then :
    > yarpview /view
    > yarp connect http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port /view mjpeg
    >
    > But nothing happens...
    > I'm pretty sure somebody does that before, but I cannot find
    more than
    > this page :
    > http://wiki.icub.org/yarpdoc/yarp_http.html#yarp_http_recv_images
    >
    > which is basically sending images "as" an IP camera...
    >
    > Any help is welcome :)
    >
    > Stéphane Lallée
    >
    > *~~~~~~~~~~~~*
    > Synthetic, Perceptive, Cognitive and Emotive Systems (SPECS)
    > Universitat Pompeu Fabra
    > /COMMUNICATION-POBLENOU CAMPUS (LA NAU building)
    > Roc Boronat, 138. 08018 Barcelona/
    > http://specs.upf.edu/

    > "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases

That is very strange, curl should give you exactly what would arrive at
your browser.  I must be missing some fundamental detail of the story.

For the python setExternal problem, could you encourage your friend to
file an issue on this so we can sort it out once and for all? [well, at
least until the next version of python :-)]
   https://github.com/robotology/yarp/issues/new

Cheers,
Paul