Running the icub simulator without the X-server (or any graphics server)

Running the icub simulator without the X-server (or any graphics server)

Thusi
Dear Robotcub hackers,

My question is regarding the Icub-simulator. I need to generate images from the eyes of the simulator, and subsequently I would be giving vergence and version commands to the eyes. I need to run several simulators in the same time (for a long duration >12hrs) for learning vergence and version commands. I have access to a cluster which can handle a lot of computational load, but currently it doesnt seem that i can run the simulator on a cluster since it requires the graphics rendering capability of the X-server.

My question is whether is it capable to run the simulator without explicit rendering of the entire world? Since I only want the rendered images on the icub-eyes, is there a way to somehow hack the code and make it run as a command line utility which uses some kind of an internal buffer for rendering the images the Icub would see (which should be accessible through the ports as usual)?

Thanks,
Thusitha

Re: Running the icub simulator without the X-server (or any graphics server)

paulfitz
Administrator
Hi Thusitha,

One option that might work for you is to use Xvfb:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvfb
This can give the X interfaces to a program without needing any display.

I've been able to run the iCub simulator via the following sequence:
   # start a virtual frame buffer X -- important to specify pixel depth
   # or GL calls will fail later
   Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1024x768x24 &
   # run icub simulator against virtual display
   DISPLAY=:1 iCub_SIM
   # you should see happy messages and ports should be accessible

It isn't exactly what you are asking for I know but I've used this
approach for similar purposes in the past.

Cheers,
Paul