YARP with Ubuntu 8.1

Paul Fitzpatrick
Hi all,

Has anyone had problems using YARP on Ubuntu 8.1?  There's a report of
problems using YARP when compiled with the packaged ACE version (5.6.3)
on that distribution.  See:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2526312&group_id=62418&atid=500493

I'd be interested in any reports (positive or negative) of using YARP in
this configuration.

Thank you,
Paul

Re: YARP with Ubuntu 8.10

Paul Fitzpatrick

Quick correction: I should have written Ubuntu 8.10, not 8.1 (thanks
Stefan).  Sorry for the spam.
Paul

Paul Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone had problems using YARP on Ubuntu 8.1?  There's a report of
> problems using YARP when compiled with the packaged ACE version (5.6.3)
> on that distribution.  See:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2526312&group_id=62418&atid=500493
>
> I'd be interested in any reports (positive or negative) of using YARP in
> this configuration.
>
> Thank you,
> Paul

Re: YARP with Ubuntu 8.10

Lorenzo Natale
I confirm that had problems using YARP in Ubuntu with the packaged
version of ACE. We encounter this problem with at least three different
machines. The regression test got stuck at some point. From the
investigations we did I remember we determined it was related to a call
to the ACE semaphore class. I cannot tell from sure but I think I had
this problem since the first time I used Ubuntu, so it must have been at
least version 7.

In all cases problems were solved by using a locally compiled version of
ACE (using compilation instructions in the ACE website, without
particular options).

I don't remember which versions of ACE we used, but I can confirm that
on my Ubuntu 8.04 laptop I'm using YARP with locally compiled ACE 5.6.3
without problems.

Hope this helps,
Lorenzo

Paul Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Quick correction: I should have written Ubuntu 8.10, not 8.1 (thanks
> Stefan).  Sorry for the spam.
> Paul
>
> Paul Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Has anyone had problems using YARP on Ubuntu 8.1?  There's a report of
>> problems using YARP when compiled with the packaged ACE version (5.6.3)
>> on that distribution.  See:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2526312&group_id=62418&atid=500493
>>
>> I'd be interested in any reports (positive or negative) of using YARP in
>> this configuration.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Paul

Lorenzo Natale, PhD Researcher
LIRA-Lab, DIST, University of Genoa
http://nat.liralab.it
[hidden email]
Ph: +39 010 353-2946
fax: +39 010 353-2948

Re: YARP with Ubuntu 8.10

SpiglerG
Lorenzo:
Hmm.. I use Ubuntu 7.10 with ACE 5.5.5 (compiled) and everything works fine; I never had problems and both `make test` and `./os_harness regression` report everything's fine. What ACE version did you use?

Giacomo

Paul Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Quick correction: I should have written Ubuntu 8.10, not 8.1 (thanks
> Stefan).  Sorry for the spam.
> Paul
>
> Paul Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Has anyone had problems using YARP on Ubuntu 8.1?  There's a report of
>> problems using YARP when compiled with the packaged ACE version (5.6.3)
>> on that distribution.  See:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2526312&group_id=62418&atid=500493
>>
>> I'd be interested in any reports (positive or negative) of using YARP in
>> this configuration.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Paul

Lorenzo Natale, PhD Researcher
LIRA-Lab, DIST, University of Genoa
http://nat.liralab.it
[hidden email]
Ph: +39 010 353-2946
fax: +39 010 353-2948

Re: YARP with Ubuntu 8.10

Lorenzo Natale
Hi Giacomo,
I think we agree. The version that causes problems is the one
distributed precompiled with Ubuntu (5.4.7). The same version is
distributed in Debian stable and works fine, so I guess the problem is
specific to Ubuntu (or the particular build distributed with it).

ciao,
Lorenzo

SpiglerG wrote:

> [...]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/robotcub-hackers
>      >
>

>     --
>     Lorenzo Natale, PhD Researcher
>     LIRA-Lab, DIST, University of Genoa
>     http://nat.liralab.it
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     Ph: +39 010 353-2946
>     fax: +39 010 353-2948

>     Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>     Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>     software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills
>     and code to
>     build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the
>     power of local
>     resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR
>     SDK and
>     Ajax docs to start building applications

Yes. I've never noticed that Ubuntu comes with libace through apt-get, hence I've always downloaded-compiled manually :P

   Paul Fitzpatrick wrote:
    > Quick correction: I should have written Ubuntu 8.10, not 8.1 (thanks
    > Stefan).  Sorry for the spam.
    > Paul
    >
    > Paul Fitzpatrick wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Has anyone had problems using YARP on Ubuntu 8.1?  There's a
   report of
    >> problems using YARP when compiled with the packaged ACE version
   (5.6.3)
    >> on that distribution.  See:

   https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2526312&group_id=62418&atid=500493
   <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2526312&group_id=62418&atid=500493>

    >> I'd be interested in any reports (positive or negative) of using
   YARP in
    >> this configuration.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Paul

    > Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
   Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
    > software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills
   and code to
    > build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the
   power of local
    > resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe
   AIR SDK and
    > Ajax docs to start building applications
   today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

   Lorenzo Natale, PhD Researcher
   LIRA-Lab, DIST, University of Genoa
   http://nat.liralab.it
   [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

   Ph: +39 010 353-2946
   fax: +39 010 353-2948

   Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
   Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
   software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills
   and code to
   build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the
   power of local
   resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR
   SDK and
   Ajax docs to start building applications
   today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
   <mailto:[hidden email]>

--
Lorenzo Natale, PhD Researcher
LIRA-Lab, DIST, University of Genoa
http://nat.liralab.it
[hidden email]
Ph: +39 010 353-2946
fax: +39 010 353-2948

Re: YARP with Ubuntu 8.10

Andreu Corominas Murtra
Hi all!

... from our use of yarp under ubuntu:

ubuntu 7.10 + ace5.4.7 (packaged) -> all fine!
ubuntu 8.04 + ace5.4.7 (packaged) -> all fine!

We don't have extensive experience with ubuntu8.10.

Best regards,

andreu

SpiglerG wrote:

> [...]
>            power of local
>            resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the
>         Adobe AIR
>            SDK and
>            Ajax docs to start building applications
>            today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
>

>     --
>     Lorenzo Natale, PhD Researcher
>     LIRA-Lab, DIST, University of Genoa
>     http://nat.liralab.it
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     Ph: +39 010 353-2946
>     fax: +39 010 353-2948

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and

Mobile Robotics. PhD Student.
[hidden email]
www-iri.upc.es/people/acoromin

Institut de Robòtica i Informàtica Industrial (CSIC-UPC)
www-iri.upc.es

Re: YARP with Ubuntu 8.10

Matteo Taiana
Hi guys,
I'm running ubuntu 8.10 and I'm having troubles with ACE and YARP.
I'm not sure what's wrong exactly, I could have messed something up in
the OS during my various trials, that's what kept me from posting a
mail to this list so far.

Today I started again from scratch and and downloaded version 5.5.5,
5.6 and 5.6.7 of ACE.
I downloaded the archives in this form "ACE-5.6.7.tar.gz", from site [1].
Version 5.5.5 and 5.6 of ACE both don't compile, giving this error:
> [...]
> ../../../../ASNMP/examples/get/get.cpp: In constructor 'getapp::getapp(int, char**)':
> ../../../../ASNMP/examples/get/get.cpp:92: error: 'cout' was not declared in this scope
> [...]

Version 5.6.7 of ACE compiles (through the usual config-make-make install.)
after that I run ldconfig, then tried to compile YARP (SVN version
updated today), but that doesn't work:

> [...]
> -- Libraries go to /home/matteo/PhD/installed_stuff/YARP/yarp_from_cvs/yarp2/lib
> -- Executables go to /home/matteo/PhD/installed_stuff/YARP/yarp_from_cvs/yarp2/bin
> -- Modern pkg-config utility detected
> -- Found ACE library: /usr/local/lib/libACE.so
> -- Found ACE include: /usr/local/include
> -- generated /home/matteo/PhD/installed_stuff/YARP/yarp_from_cvs/yarp2/yarpdev_drivers.h
> -- generated /home/matteo/PhD/installed_stuff/YARP/yarp_from_cvs/yarp2/yarphear_drivers.h
> -- Configuring done
> -- Generating done
> -- Build files have been written to: /home/matteo/PhD/installed_stuff/YARP/yarp_from_cvs/yarp2
> matteo@venus:~/PhD/installed_stuff/YARP/yarp_from_cvs/yarp2$ make
> [  1%] Building CXX object src/libYARP_OS/CMakeFiles/YARP_OS.dir/src/PortCore.o
> [  2%] Building CXX object src/libYARP_OS/CMakeFiles/YARP_OS.dir/src/NetType.o
> [  2%] Building CXX object src/libYARP_OS/CMakeFiles/YARP_OS.dir/src/Vocab.o
> [  3%] Building CXX object src/libYARP_OS/CMakeFiles/YARP_OS.dir/src/Port.o
> [...]
> [ 71%] Building CXX object src/libYARP_OS/CMakeFiles/harness_os.dir/harness/TimeTest.o
> [ 72%] Building CXX object src/libYARP_OS/CMakeFiles/harness_os.dir/harness/StreamConnectionReaderTest.o
> [ 73%] Building CXX object src/libYARP_OS/CMakeFiles/harness_os.dir/harness/NameServerTest.o
> Linking CXX executable ../../bin/harness_os
> ../../lib/libYARP_OS.a(PortCore.o): In function `ACE_OS::sema_wait(ACE_sema_t*)':
> PortCore.cpp:(.text._ZN6ACE_OS9sema_waitEP10ACE_sema_t[ACE_OS::sema_wait(ACE_sema_t*)]+0xf): undefined reference to `sem_wait'
> ../../lib/libYARP_OS.a(PortCore.o): In function `ACE_OS::sema_post(ACE_sema_t*)':
> PortCore.cpp:(.text._ZN6ACE_OS9sema_postEP10ACE_sema_t[ACE_OS::sema_post(ACE_sema_t*)]+0xf): undefined reference to `sem_post'
> ../../lib/libYARP_OS.a(Semaphore.o): In function `ACE_OS::sema_trywait(ACE_sema_t*)':
> Semaphore.cpp:(.text._ZN6ACE_OS12sema_trywaitEP10ACE_sema_t[ACE_OS::sema_trywait(ACE_sema_t*)]+0xf): undefined reference to `sem_trywait'
> ../../lib/libYARP_OS.a(ThreadImpl.o): In function `ACE_OS::thr_join(unsigned long, void**)':
> ThreadImpl.cpp:(.text._ZN6ACE_OS8thr_joinEmPPv[ACE_OS::thr_join(unsigned long, void**)]+0x14): undefined reference to `pthread_join'
> /usr/local/lib/libACE.so: undefined reference to `pthread_rwlock_unlock'
> /usr/local/lib/libACE.so: undefined reference to `pthread_setconcurrency'
> /usr/local/lib/libACE.so: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_destroy'
> /usr/local/lib/libACE.so: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
> /usr/local/lib/libACE.so: undefined reference to `pthread_rwlockattr_init'
> [...]
> /usr/local/lib/libACE.so: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_init'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [bin/harness_os] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [src/libYARP_OS/CMakeFiles/harness_os.dir/all] Error 2

Do you have any clue about what's going wrong?
Again, it could be something that I accidentally did to my operating system :-(.

ciao, thank you in advance,

Matteo.

Links:
1. http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/

Re: YARP with Ubuntu 8.10

Lorenzo Natale
Hello Matteo,
I don't know exactly why you are having these problems. As a general
advice try first to remove all lib files related to ACE (libACE.*) from
the system paths (e.g. /usr/local/lib...). It could be that you have
more than one (bad) installations of ACE in you system. To be sure I
would clean all current installations of ACE, and download/build a new
one. Then either set the ACE_ROOT env var to point to the current
intallation or manually set the correct value when you run "ccmake" to
compile YARP. In other words, make sure YARP is linked (and compiled) by
using the correct header files and lib (you can also manually re-verify
it by running make VERBOSE=1 and checking the flags used by g++).

If the problems persist I would check the compilation of ACE.

Hope this helps,
Lorenzo

2009/2/8 Lorenzo Natale <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Matteo,
> I don't know exactly why you are having these problems. As a general advice
> try first to remove all lib files related to ACE (libACE.*) from the system
> paths (e.g. /usr/local/lib...). It could be that you have more than one
> (bad) installations of ACE in you system. To be sure I would clean all
> current installations of ACE, and download/build a new one. Then either set
> the ACE_ROOT env var to point to the current intallation or manually set the
> correct value when you run "ccmake" to compile YARP. In other words, make
> sure YARP is linked (and compiled) by using the correct header files and lib
> (you can also manually re-verify it by running make VERBOSE=1 and checking
> the flags used by g++).
>
> If the problems persist I would check the compilation of ACE.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Lorenzo

Thanks Lorenzo,
I tried to clean my system and then installed the Debian unstable
packages for ACE v5.6.3-5.
This way I managed to build YARP and my own code.

It's not a really clean solution, as the update manager now keeps
suggesting that I update the library to the Ubuntu version, but that's
enough for the moment.

I'm still having problems with getting images from my webcam (with
OpenCV, V4L1/2 and Ubuntu 8.10), but that's another story.

thanks again, ciao,

Matteo.

Re: YARP with Ubuntu 8.10

Philipp Robbel
I can confirm mosteo's findings on a clean Ubuntu 8.10 machine
(harness_os regression segfaults). This seems to be similar to the
issue I was having with Archlinux a while ago (I briefly exchanged
emails with Paul). Maybe 8.10 caught up with the bleeding edge
libraries I had been using under Arch for a while and now has the same
issues. My only solution so far has been to use ACE4YARP...

Grateful for any updates on this issue,
Philipp