Yarp compilation fail

Konstantinos Theofilis
Hi list,

Compilation of YARP fails with the following error (to keep things
simple, all cmake options are on their default values, except LIB_MATH
that is turned on.)

  [ 80%] Building CXX object
src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
ger.dir/src/xmlapploader.cpp.o
  [ 81%] Building CXX object
src/libYARP_dev/CMakeFiles/YARP_dev.dir/src/modu
les/VirtualAnalogWrapper/VirtualAnalogWrapper.cpp.o
  Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libYARP_dev.so
  [ 81%] Built target YARP_dev
  Scanning dependencies of target yarpdev
  [ 81%] Building CXX object
src/yarpdev/CMakeFiles/yarpdev.dir/yarpdev.cpp.o
  Linking CXX executable ../../bin/yarpdev
  [ 82%] Building CXX object
src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
ger.dir/src/xmlappsaver.cpp.o
  ../../lib/libYARP_dev.so.2.3.63: undefined reference to
`yarp::dev::StubImp lPositionControl2Raw::NOT_YET_IMPLEMENTED(char const*)'
  src/yarpdev/CMakeFiles/yarpdev.dir/build.make:90: recipe for target
'bin/ya    rpdev' failed
  make[2]: *** [bin/yarpdev] Error 1
  CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1204: recipe for target
'src/yarpdev/CMakeFiles/yarpde    v.dir/all' failed
  make[1]: *** [src/yarpdev/CMakeFiles/yarpdev.dir/all] Error 2
  [ 82%] Building CXX object
src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
ger.dir/src/xmlmodloader.cpp.o
  [ 82%] Building CXX object
src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
ger.dir/src/xmlresloader.cpp.o
  [ 83%] Building CXX object
src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
ger.dir/src/xmltemploader.cpp.o
  [ 83%] Building CXX object
src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
ger.dir/src/yarpbroker.cpp.o
  Linking CXX static library ../../../lib/libYARP_manager.a
  [ 83%] Built target YARP_manager
  make: *** [all] Error 2

  On Debian Jessie, with the latest HEAD of YARP.

Any suggestion is very much appreciated :)

Best regards,
Kostas Theofilis

Re: Yarp compilation fail

Konstantinos Theofilis
Some further info:

I had to go back to tag v.2.3.62 for yarp to compile properly on the
default options. Then I noticed that the one default option changed is
the CREATE_SHARED_LIBRARY.

By going back to HEAD and setting SHARED_LIBRARY to OFF, things are
compiling fine.

Of course, I do need to have a shared library (for the bindings mostly)
so the problem remains.

Best regards,
Konstantinos Theofilis

On 01/08/14 20:18, Konstantinos Theofilis wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Compilation of YARP fails with the following error (to keep things
> simple, all cmake options are on their default values, except LIB_MATH
> that is turned on.)
>
>    [ 80%] Building CXX object
> src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
> ger.dir/src/xmlapploader.cpp.o
>    [ 81%] Building CXX object
> src/libYARP_dev/CMakeFiles/YARP_dev.dir/src/modu
> les/VirtualAnalogWrapper/VirtualAnalogWrapper.cpp.o
>    Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libYARP_dev.so
>    [ 81%] Built target YARP_dev
>    Scanning dependencies of target yarpdev
>    [ 81%] Building CXX object
> src/yarpdev/CMakeFiles/yarpdev.dir/yarpdev.cpp.o
>    Linking CXX executable ../../bin/yarpdev
>    [ 82%] Building CXX object
> src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
> ger.dir/src/xmlappsaver.cpp.o
>    ../../lib/libYARP_dev.so.2.3.63: undefined reference to
> `yarp::dev::StubImp lPositionControl2Raw::NOT_YET_IMPLEMENTED(char const*)'
>    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>    src/yarpdev/CMakeFiles/yarpdev.dir/build.make:90: recipe for target
> 'bin/ya    rpdev' failed
>    make[2]: *** [bin/yarpdev] Error 1
>    CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1204: recipe for target
> 'src/yarpdev/CMakeFiles/yarpde    v.dir/all' failed
>    make[1]: *** [src/yarpdev/CMakeFiles/yarpdev.dir/all] Error 2
>    make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>    [ 82%] Building CXX object
> src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
> ger.dir/src/xmlmodloader.cpp.o
>    [ 82%] Building CXX object
> src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
> ger.dir/src/xmlresloader.cpp.o
>    [ 83%] Building CXX object
> src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
> ger.dir/src/xmltemploader.cpp.o
>    [ 83%] Building CXX object
> src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
> ger.dir/src/yarpbroker.cpp.o
>    Linking CXX static library ../../../lib/libYARP_manager.a
>    [ 83%] Built target YARP_manager
>    Makefile:146: recipe for target 'all' failed
>    make: *** [all] Error 2
>
>    On Debian Jessie, with the latest HEAD of YARP.
>
> Any suggestion is very much appreciated :)
>
> Best regards,
> Kostas Theofilis

Re: Yarp compilation fail

Konstantinos Theofilis
Hi Alberto,

I know that Debian testing support is supposed to be a work in progress.
However, Ubuntu 14.04 is supported, so I would expect that Jessie would
work without problems more or less. In any case, I use mostly Wheezy on
my machines, but I do need a machine with Jessie because of the old
glibc in Wheezy.

In any case:
I cleaned the build folder.
I git pulled.
GYARMANAGER was off as CREATE_GUIS is off too.

The same result:

With CREATE_SHARED ON compilation fails with exactly the same message
(look below).

Best regards,
Kostas Theofilis

On 04/08/14 10:10, Alberto Cardellino wrote:

> [...]
>>>      make[1]: *** [src/yarpdev/CMakeFiles/yarpdev.dir/all] Error 2
>>>      make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>>>      [ 82%] Building CXX object
>>> src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
>>> ger.dir/src/xmlmodloader.cpp.o
>>>      [ 82%] Building CXX object
>>> src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
>>> ger.dir/src/xmlresloader.cpp.o
>>>      [ 83%] Building CXX object
>>> src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
>>> ger.dir/src/xmltemploader.cpp.o
>>>      [ 83%] Building CXX object
>>> src/yarpmanager/libymanager/CMakeFiles/YARP_mana
>>> ger.dir/src/yarpbroker.cpp.o
>>>      Linking CXX static library ../../../lib/libYARP_manager.a
>>>      [ 83%] Built target YARP_manager
>>>      Makefile:146: recipe for target 'all' failed
>>>      make: *** [all] Error 2
>>>
>>>      On Debian Jessie, with the latest HEAD of YARP.
>>>
>>> Any suggestion is very much appreciated :)

Re: Yarp compilation fail

Alberto Cardellino
I just pushed a fix, it should work now.

Thanks for reporting,
Alberto

On 04/08/2014 11:35, Konstantinos Theofilis wrote:

> Hi Alberto,
>
> I know that Debian testing support is supposed to be a work in
> progress. However, Ubuntu 14.04 is supported, so I would expect that
> Jessie would work without problems more or less. In any case, I use
> mostly Wheezy on my machines, but I do need a machine with Jessie
> because of the old glibc in Wheezy.
>
> In any case:
> I cleaned the build folder.
> I git pulled.
> GYARMANAGER was off as CREATE_GUIS is off too.
>
> The same result:
>
> With CREATE_SHARED ON compilation fails with exactly the same message
> (look below).
>
> Best regards,
> Kostas Theofilis
>
> On 04/08/14 10:10, Alberto Cardellino wrote:
>> Hi Konstantinos,
>>
>> the testing version are not supported (yet) so you may encounter more
>> problems then stable versions, but anyway it is good it they works as
>> well :)
>> Which version of gcc, g++ and ld are installed on your system?
>>
>> Can you do a couple of tests please?
>>
>> fist clean the build folder and update everything (I guess you already
>> did it)
>> cd $YARP_DIR
>> rm -rf ./*
>> git pull
>> ccmake ..
>> make
>>
>> if it does not work, try to set off the following cmake flags
>>
>> CREATE_GYARPBUILDER    OFF (should already be off)
>> CREATE_GYARPMANAGER  OFF
>>
>> then recompile and let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alberto
>>

>> On 02/08/2014 13:40, Konstantinos Theofilis wrote:
>>> Some further info:
>>>
>>> I had to go back to tag v.2.3.62 for yarp to compile properly on the
>>> default options. Then I noticed that the one default option changed is
>>> the CREATE_SHARED_LIBRARY.
>>>
>>> By going back to HEAD and setting SHARED_LIBRARY to OFF, things are
>>> compiling fine.
>>>
>>> Of course, I do need to have a shared library (for the bindings mostly)
>>> so the problem remains.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Konstantinos Theofilis

Re: Yarp compilation fail

Konstantinos Theofilis
Everything compiles fine now :)
Many thanks Alberto!

However, some further problems with yarp on Jessie:

make test  leads to the following errors:

90% tests passed, 5 tests failed out of 51

Total Test time (real) =  27.36 sec

The following tests FAILED:
      10 - OS::NodeTest (SEGFAULT)
      16 - OS::NetworkTest (SEGFAULT)
      30 - OS::PortReaderBufferTest (SEGFAULT)
      33 - OS::PortTest (SEGFAULT)
      35 - OS::ModuleTest (SEGFAULT)
Errors while running CTest
Makefile:136: recipe for target 'test' failed
make: *** [test] Error 8

Debian Jessie is using gcc4.9.1 right now.

Despite the failed tests, yarp server seems to working ok.

Best regards,
Kostas Theofilis