Yarp on the web ?

Stéphane Lallée
Hi !
I do post here because the question is relatively opened...

We are considering options for building a server that would collect information from various sources and types (e.g video/audio, GPS, etc.).
The idea is to centralize the feeds of mutiple devices so that they are dumped and that users can access them from a browser based interface.

I know that this would be very easy to do on a local network using YARP. However I was wondering if it would be suitable to be used over the internet. I did see many project trying to apply YARP on anything else than a local net...

Any though/recommendation on this ?

Cheers,
Stephane

Stéphane Lallée

Fusionopolis, Tower South 10#104
Singapore
(+65) 6408 2074

Re: Yarp on the web ?

ali.paikan
Hi Stephan,

If you can access your home/local network from outside and remotely, then everything will be fine. If you an static IP, then i dont think so there will be any problem. It will be enough to run an instance of the yarpserver on an accessible machine and configure the client's config files (see `yarp conf`) with the yarpserver IP address.

Some home routers also provide functionalities to bridge you local network to the outside and can be configured along with "DynDNS" to allow accessing your local network even without having static IP address. Notice that this might not work with every local network or routers.

One interesting point about yarp is that you don not need YARP to access the YARP network. This means that you can develop a simple web based GUI to command yarp ports/RPC using AJAX RPC from the browser.  You can also stream yarp videos to the browser and visualize them in the browser without `yarpview`. Here is the point where YARP differs from any other middlewares and shows its unique features! ;)  For this case, you do not even need to have an instance of the `yarpserver`!

I have implemented a complex GUI to control a YARP-based robot from the browser. I used the JQuery to make a AJAX call to the YARP RPC/Ports (See http://apaikan.net/papers/Fitzpatrick14middleway.pdf). I can send the RPC commands, reads the YARP ports values, visualized the YARP image from the browser and without having YARP.  It works perfectly from the browser in the smart (android) phone too.  Here is the screenshot:

Cheers,
 Ali

On 04/14/2015 06:27 AM, Stéphane Lallée wrote:
Hi !
I do post here because the question is relatively opened...

We are considering options for building a server that would collect information from various sources and types (e.g video/audio, GPS, etc.).
The idea is to centralize the feeds of mutiple devices so that they are dumped and that users can access them from a browser based interface.

I know that this would be very easy to do on a local network using YARP. However I was wondering if it would be suitable to be used over the internet. I did see many project trying to apply YARP on anything else than a local net...

Any though/recommendation on this ?

Cheers,
Stephane

Stéphane Lallée