gettimeoftheday() not part of ACE_OS ?

Stéphane Lallée
Hi !

I'm installing yarp on a new win7 machine with the dependencies in the binaries form (VS2010) and the yarp sources from the svn.
I have no problem to compile in Release, however in Debug I'm getting an error about ACE :

error C2039: 'gettimeofday' : n'est pas membre de 'ACE_OS' R:\Libraries\yarp2\src\libYARP_OS\include\yarp\os\impl\ACESemaphoreImpl.h 49 1 YARP_OS

(repeated for all the places where this function is called)

I downloaded the binaries last week and the svn repo this morning.

Any idea before I start reinstalling from scratch ?

Cheers,
Stephane

Re: gettimeoftheday() not part of ACE_OS ?

Vadim Tikhanoff-2
Ciao Stephane,

I noticed that aswell, will talk with lorenzo to find a proper cure.

for now, quick trick to compile is:

open %YARP_ROOT%\src\libYARP_OS\include\yarp\os\impl\ACESemaphoreImpl.h

#include <ace/High_Res_Timer.h>
replace ACE_OS::gettimeofday(); with ACE_High_Res_Timer::gettimeofday();

recompile
Best
Vadim

Re: gettimeoftheday() not part of ACE_OS ?

Lorenzo Natale-2

Hi Stephane,

can you report the version of ACE you are using?

Lorenzo

Re: gettimeoftheday() not part of ACE_OS ?

Stéphane Lallée
I'm using the one furnished by the latest binaries distribution of yarp.
It seems to be ACE 6.0.1

2012/9/25 Lorenzo Natale <[hidden email]>

Hi Stephane,

can you report the version of ACE you are using?

Lorenzo

Re: gettimeoftheday() not part of ACE_OS ?

paulfitz
Administrator
Hi Stéphane,

I recently added the call to gettimeofday in ACESemaphoreImpl.h, so this
is my fault.  I'm not having any luck replicating your error.  However
gettimeofday has been called in libYARP_OS/src/Time.cpp for a long time
without trouble.  So I've added two time-related header files that
Time.cpp includes into ACESemaphoreImpl.h.  They don't seem necessary in
any of the VS+ACE combinations I've tried, but it is the only difference
I can see between working-Time.cpp and broken-ACESemaphoreImpl.h.  Let
me know if YARP from svn works any better for you now, or if it is the same.

Best,
Paul

On 09/25/2012 05:56 PM, Stéphane Lallée wrote:

> I'm using the one furnished by the latest binaries distribution of yarp.
> It seems to be ACE 6.0.1
>

> 2012/9/25 Lorenzo Natale <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hi Stephane,
>
>     can you report the version of ACE you are using?
>
>     Lorenzo

Vadim had a similar problem today so he could give it a try too...

Hi Paul,

Your modification somehow fixed the problem on my machine... It compiles fine both in debug and release configurations now, thanks :-)

Stephane