icubsim on Mountain Lion - ODE error - please help!

icubsim on Mountain Lion - ODE error - please help!

Luca Lonini
Hello RobotHackers,

I have installed Yarp and iCub under Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on a Macbook
Pro 13", 4Gb Ram, 2.53Ghz Intel core 2 Duo.
I have followed the steps reported in http://eris.liralab.it/wiki/Homebrew
except for Ipopt that I installed using homebrew.

All the steps went fine. However when starting the iCub_SIM I get the
following error

ODE INTERNAL ERROR 2: Bad argument(s) in dxBox()
Abort trap: 6

The last line printed before getting the error is
'/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/models/hip.x' ......... OK!

The initial lines printed are

ODE configuration: ODE ODE_EXT_trimesh ODE_EXT_opcode
ODE_OPC_new_collider ODE_single_precision

SimConfig::configure
||| policy set to ICUB_ROOT
||| ICUB_ROOT: /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub
||| default config file specified as simulator.ini
||| checking simulator.ini
||| checking /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/simulator.ini
||| found /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/simulator.ini
OLD MODULE NAME /icubSim
||| checking conf/ode_params.ini
||| checking
/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/ode_params.ini
||| found /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/ode_params.ini
||| checking conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
||| checking
/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
||| found
/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
||| checking conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
||| checking
/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
||| found
/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini

I would be glad if anybody can provide me with help or hints.
Thanks much!

Luca

--
Luca Lonini
Msc in Biomedical Engineering

Re: icubsim on Mountain Lion - ODE error - please help!

Vadim Tikhanoff-2
Dear Luca,

Thank you for including the debug lines, everything seems ok apart from the fact that it appears you have ODE compiled in single precision mode which may cause some instability with your system. Could you please compile ODE in double precision making sure that cmake picks up the double precision flag and try again? And, just for curiosity, which version of ODE have you installed?
Best
Vadim

Luca Lonini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello RobotHackers,

I have installed Yarp and iCub under Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on a Macbook
Pro 13", 4Gb Ram, 2.53Ghz Intel core 2 Duo.
I have followed the steps reported in http://eris.liralab.it/wiki/Homebrew
except for Ipopt that I installed using homebrew.

All the steps went fine. However when starting the iCub_SIM I get the
following error

ODE INTERNAL ERROR 2: Bad argument(s) in dxBox()
Abort trap: 6

The last line printed before getting the error is
'/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/models/hip.x' ......... OK!

The initial lines printed are

ODE configuration: ODE ODE_EXT_trimesh ODE_EXT_opcode
ODE_OPC_new_collider ODE_single_precision

SimConfig::configure
||| policy set to ICUB_ROOT
||| ICUB_ROOT: /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub
||| default config file specified as simulator.ini
||| checking simulator.ini
||| checking /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/simulator.ini
||| found /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/simulator.ini
OLD MODULE NAME /icubSim
||| checking conf/ode_params.ini
||| checking
/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/ode_params.ini
||| found /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/ode_params.ini
||| checking conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
||| checking
/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
||| found
/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
||| checking conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
||| checking
/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
||| found
/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini

I would be glad if anybody can provide me with help or hints.
Thanks much!

Luca

--
Luca Lonini
Msc in Biomedical Engineering
PhD student in Computational Neuroscience
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University
Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
60438 Frankfurt am Main
Germany
Tel. +49(0)69-798-47623
Mob. +49(0)176-64953395

Re: icubsim on Mountain Lion - ODE error - please help!

Juxi Leitner
Ciao,
I think this was fixed on my iMac after I changed the ODE to double
precision as Vadim pointed out ...

here's my install log:
http://blog.juxi.net/index.php/2012/08/21/icub_sim-on-mountain-lion/

//Juxi

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Vadim Tikhanoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Luca,
>
> Thank you for including the debug lines, everything seems ok apart from the fact that it appears you have ODE compiled in single precision mode which may cause some instability with your system. Could you please compile ODE in double precision making sure that cmake picks up the double precision flag and try again? And, just for curiosity, which version of ODE have you installed?
> Best
> Vadim
>

> Luca Lonini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hello RobotHackers,
>
> I have installed Yarp and iCub under Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on a Macbook
> Pro 13", 4Gb Ram, 2.53Ghz Intel core 2 Duo.
> I have followed the steps reported in http://eris.liralab.it/wiki/Homebrew
> except for Ipopt that I installed using homebrew.
>
> All the steps went fine. However when starting the iCub_SIM I get the
> following error
>
> ODE INTERNAL ERROR 2: Bad argument(s) in dxBox()
> Abort trap: 6
>
> The last line printed before getting the error is
> '/Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/models/hip.x' ......... OK!
>
> The initial lines printed are
>
> ODE configuration: ODE ODE_EXT_trimesh ODE_EXT_opcode
> ODE_OPC_new_collider ODE_single_precision
>
> SimConfig::configure
> OLD MODULE NAME /icubSim
> /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/ode_params.ini
> /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
> /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
> /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
> /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
>
> I would be glad if anybody can provide me with help or hints.
> Thanks much!
>
> Luca
>
> --
> Luca Lonini
> Msc in Biomedical Engineering
> PhD student in Computational Neuroscience
> Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
> Johann Wolfgang Goethe University
> Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
> 60438 Frankfurt am Main
> Germany
> Tel. +49(0)69-798-47623
> Mob. +49(0)176-64953395

"We need dreamers 'cuz in our dreams we see not what is but what can be!"

http://about.me/Juxi

Re: icubsim on Mountain Lion - ODE error - please help!

Luca Lonini
Hi Juxi, hi Vadim

Actually I used brew to compile ODE double precision using the following
cmd (reported in http://eris.liralab.it/wiki/Homebrew)

brew install ode --enable-double-precision

However it seems that single precision was compiled.

I am new to homebrew. How do I check the installed version of a package
(e.g ODE)?

Thank you very much for your help.
Best,

Luca

On 10/2/12 1:57 AM, Juxi Leitner wrote:

> [...]
>> /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
>> /Users/admin/iCubRepository/iCub/app/simConfig/conf/iCub_parts_activation.ini
>>
>> I would be glad if anybody can provide me with help or hints.
>> Thanks much!
>>
>> Luca
>>
>> --
>> Luca Lonini
>> Msc in Biomedical Engineering
>> PhD student in Computational Neuroscience
>> Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
>> Johann Wolfgang Goethe University
>> Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
>> 60438 Frankfurt am Main
>> Germany
>> Tel. +49(0)69-798-47623
>> Mob. +49(0)176-64953395

Luca Lonini
Msc in Biomedical Engineering
PhD student in Computational Neuroscience
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies

Re: icubsim on Mountain Lion - ODE error - working with ODE double precision

Luca Lonini
Dear all,

Compiling Ode (0.12) with double precision solved the issue. The
simulator is now running happily!
thank you for your help.

Best,

Luca