ikinGazeCtrl suspended

smwasif
Hi all,
         In iCub simulator, I am using ikinGazeCtrl to shift eye gaze along azimuth and elevation using absolute angles iteratively within very small range i.e. -5 to 5. Sometimes with certain angles eyes shift gaze but sometimes on some angles  simulator becomes unresponsive along suspension of ikinGazeCtrl with message of communication time out. Although I am using method waitMotionDone() before issuing new command but still it doesn't work reliably. Moreover if increase the range of gaze shift there are times when icub simulator crashes.
Can you please guide me how to cater this problem of gaze shift and time out, and what are workable limits of eye azimuth and elevation angles.
Thanks in advance.
Wasif

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

pattacini
Hi Wasif,

Concerning the timeout you could apply a fast hack: seek for the call to suspend() method within the controller.cpp file of the iKinGazeCtrl and comment it out.

If communication timeouts and/or crashes are occurring on your system, try first to better distribute the computational load on different machines or employ a more powerful one. In fact, both the simulator and the gaze controller are quite demanding modules.

The boundaries of the gazing area is determined by the robot's structure; nonetheless the controller is designed in such a way that it will reach for the closest attainable point if the commanded target is out of range.

Cheers,
Ugo

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

smwasif
Hi Ugo,
          Thank you very much for precious advice, although i comment out the suspend() method line but problem still persists. And i wonder even after excluding call to this suspension method, how can the communication time out message appears in ikinGazeCtrl.
So I left with only one option to distribute load on different computing machines. However, in this regard if you can suggest me something that will be great advice.
Cheers
Wasif

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

pattacini
Hi Wasif,

I presume the message is still there because you did not comment out the printf() instruction too :)
Do the following: in the controller.cpp, seek for the line "if (!getFeedback()) ..." and comment out the whole sub-block, which in turn should contain the printf(), the notifyEvent(), the suspend() and the return instructions. This should be sufficient.

For distributing the load, I would start launching the simulator on one machine and the gaze controller on a different machine connected in the yarp network.

Cheers,
Ugo

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

Lorenzo Natale-2
Hi Wasif,
to reduce the computational load of the simulator you can also disable the rendering of the covers, the simulator readme t should explain how to do it.

Lorenzo

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

smwasif
Hi Ugo
            Thank you very much for your reply. Although i comment out whole block i.e.
/*
    // Introduce the feedback within the control computation
    q_stamp=Time::now();
    if (Robotable)
    {
        if (!getFeedback(fbTorso,fbHead,drvTorso,drvHead,commData,&q_stamp))
        {
            fprintf(stdout,"\nCommunication timeout detected!\n\n");
            notifyEvent("comm-timeout");
            //suspend();

            return;
        }

        Int->reset(fbHead);
    }*/

But still same message pop up with suspension of controller.
Cheers
Wasif

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

smwasif
Hi Lorenzo
Thank you very much but it didn't work.
Cheers

On 27 Nov 2013, at 09:18 am, "Lorenzo Natale-2 [via RobotCub Hackers]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Wasif,
to reduce the computational load of the simulator you can also disable the rendering of the covers, the simulator readme t should explain how to do it.

Lorenzo

http://robotcub-hackers.2198711.n2.nabble.com/ikinGazeCtrl-suspended-tp7578544p7578556.html
To unsubscribe from ikinGazeCtrl suspended, click here.
NAML

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

pattacini
Hi Wasif,

I might be unclear in my previous email, but you should do the following:

        if (!getFeedback(fbTorso,fbHead,drvTorso,drvHead,commData,&q_stamp))
        {
            //fprintf(stdout,"\nCommunication timeout detected!\n\n");
            //notifyEvent("comm-timeout");
            //suspend();

            //return;
        }

It's indeed important to keep the getFeedBack() routine being called since it provides feedback to the controller.

Said that, what is exactly the message you're still having? From a quick check, if I'm right, that is the only point in the code where the suspend() method is called automatically.

Ciao,
Ugo

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

smwasif
Hi Lorenzo
               I turned off initialization flags from iCub_parts_activation.ini from /app/simConfig but the covers were still there. I could not manage to remove them.
Thank you very much for replying against suspension problem.

Cheers
Wasif

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

Lorenzo Natale-2
Hi,
did you modify $ICUB_ROOT/app/simConfig or another directory?

Lorenzo

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

smwasif
Hi Lorenzo
Yes I modified from root directory.
Cheers

On 28 Nov 2013, at 12:31 pm, "Lorenzo Natale-2 [via RobotCub Hackers]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
did you modify $ICUB_ROOT/app/simConfig or another directory?

Lorenzo

http://robotcub-hackers.2198711.n2.nabble.com/ikinGazeCtrl-suspended-tp7578544p7578564.html
To unsubscribe from ikinGazeCtrl suspended, click here.
NAML

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

Vadim Tikhanoff-2
Hi Wasif,

could you please post the messages that appear on the terminal when you run the simulator?
This way we’ll be able to see exactly how the simulator is configured and which default files it has loaded.
Thanks
Vadim

On 28 Nov 2013, at 12:31 pm, "Lorenzo Natale-2 [via RobotCub Hackers]" <<a href="x-msg://15/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=7578565&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
did you modify $ICUB_ROOT/app/simConfig or another directory?

Lorenzo

Sent from the RobotCub Hackers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

smwasif
Hi Vadim
The message appears on screen even after comment out the lines of code mentioned by Ugo in controller.cpp is:

 : Receiving input from /gaze_client/angles:o to /iKinGazeCtrl/head/angles:i using tcp
yarp: Receiving input from /gaze_client/mono:o to /iKinGazeCtrl/head/mono:i using tcp
yarp: Receiving input from /gaze_client/stereo:o to /iKinGazeCtrl/head/stereo:i using tcp
yarp: Sending output from /iKinGazeCtrl/head/x:o to /gaze_client/x:i using tcp
yarp: Sending output from /iKinGazeCtrl/head/angles:o to /gaze_client/angles:i using tcp

norm(e)           = 3.02012e-05
Target fix. point = -7.855012 0.000015 0.340206
Actual fix. point = -7.855012 -0.000015 0.340204
Target Joints     =  0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000015 0.000091 0.500000
Actual Joints     = -0.000015 -0.000004 0.000004 -0.000000 0.000000 0.500000
Velocity          =  0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

yarp: Sending output from /iKinGazeCtrl/head/q:o to /gaze_client/q:i using tcp
yarp: Sending output from /iKinGazeCtrl/head/events:o to /gaze_client/events:i using tcp
command received: set sacc 1
command received: bind pitch 0.0 0.0

neck pitch constrained in [0,0] deg

command received: bind roll 0.0 0.0

neck roll constrained in [0,0] deg

command received: bind yaw 0.0 0.0

neck yaw constrained in [0,0] deg

This program contains Ipopt, a library for large-scale nonlinear optimization.
 Ipopt is released as open source code under the Eclipse Public License (EPL).
         For more information visit http://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt

NOTE: You are using Ipopt by default with the MUMPS linear solver.
      Other linear solvers might be more efficient (see Ipopt documentation).

command received: get done
command received: get done
command received: get done
command received: get done
command received: get done
command received: get done
command received: get done
command received: get done

norm(e)           = 0.5408
Target fix. point = -7.824153 0.135475 -0.338333
Actual fix. point = -7.853260 0.056059 0.195812
Target Joints     =  0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 -4.996383 0.996302 0.500000
Actual Joints     = -0.000019 -0.000004 0.000004 -1.061826 0.412320 0.500000
Velocity          =  0.000044 0.000010 -0.000009 -27.921291 4.144178 0.000000

command received: get done

Communication timeout detected!

Controller has been suspended!

command received: get done
command received: bind pitch 0.0 0.0

neck pitch constrained in [0,0] deg

command received: bind roll 0.0 0.0

neck roll constrained in [0,0] deg

command received: bind yaw 0.0 0.0

neck yaw constrained in [0,0] deg

Cheers
Wasif

Re: ikinGazeCtrl suspended

pattacini
Hi Wasif,

Vadim asked you the printout messages of the simulator, not of the gaze controller :)
By the way, it's good that you've provided that as well since this leads me to think you're not running the binary you freshly compiled.

If you comment out those lines, the automatic suspend mode must go away; it's still there, so double check the actual binary. It might be you did a "make install" in the past without reinstalling again.

Cheers,
Ugo

iCub simulator problem

smwasif
Hi Ugo
             I was not sure that I did so in past but to confirm may be i installed binary without uninstalling previous installation. I make uninstall both yarp and iCub and also updated them to new sources i.e. iCub-1.1.13 and yarp-2.3.22. I installed using root path on and set environment variables:
export ICUB_ROOT=/home/user/iCub
But now I am getting this error when I try to run iCub_SIM, although yarp is working but iCub simulator is not. Now i am stuck with a new problem. I checked hackers discussion regrading this problem but even having that information this problem is there.

ODE configuration: ODE ODE_EXT_trimesh ODE_EXT_opcode ODE_OPC_new_collider ODE_double_precision

SimConfig::configure
||| policy set to ICUB_ROOT
||| environment variable ICUB_ROOT not set
yarp: cannot read from /root/.yarp/ICUB_ROOT.ini
yarp: cannot read from /etc/yarp/policies/ICUB_ROOT.ini
yarp: cannot read from /etc/ICUB_ROOT.ini
yarp: cannot read from /usr/local/etc/ICUB_ROOT.ini
||| failed to load policy from /root/.yarp/ICUB_ROOT.ini /etc/yarp/policies/ICUB_ROOT.ini /etc/ICUB_ROOT.ini /usr/local/etc/ICUB_ROOT.ini
OLD MODULE NAME /icubSim
||| checking /root/
||| found /root/
||| checking /root/general
||| checking app/simConfig/general
||| did not find general
yarp: cannot read from
||| checking /root/general
||| checking app/simConfig/general
||| did not find general
yarp: cannot read from

There seems to be a conflict with the actElevation configuration file
Check the iCub_parts_activation.ini under $ICUB_ROOT/app/simConfig
If it still does not work (update svn) and re-install the app folder

The iCub simulator will not start..

I tried a lot to clean all files and reinstall but in vain. Please guide me to get out of this problem.

Wasif

Re: iCub simulator problem

pattacini
Hi Wasif,

I did not suggest you to recompile yarp + icub but just to make sure that the binary you produced with the hack inside was actually the one launched.

The present problem seems to be related to the env variable ICUB_ROOT: apparently it is not set.

Ugo