yarp and Kinect

Anthony Morse
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to work out how to send kinect images over yarp. I'm using freenect and found this: https://github.com/robotology/yarp/tree/master/src/modules/kinect/freenect

But I don't know how to turn on kinect and primesensecamera ?? these are not options in the cmake configuration??

Anyone know how to do this, or have an alternative way to do it??

Thanks
Tony
________________________________
[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>

Re: yarp and Kinect

Konstantinos Theofilis
HI,

check out the instructions at:

If you are using proper primenense sensors (e.g. Asus Xtion), libfreenect is not needed.

If you are using a Kinect, you have to compile libfreenect manually in order to enable the “OpenNI2 Bridge” option.

If you cannot find the NiTE2 binary (which is for now a hard dependency) , I can send it to you.

All the above assume that you are using Linux or OS X.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Best regards,
Kostas Theofilis

On Jun 4, 2015, at 11:45 PM, Anthony Morse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to work out how to send kinect images over yarp. I'm using freenect and found this: https://github.com/robotology/yarp/tree/master/src/modules/kinect/freenect

But I don't know how to turn on kinect and primesensecamera ?? these are not options in the cmake configuration??

Anyone know how to do this, or have an alternative way to do it??

Thanks
Tony
________________________________
[<a href="http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]&lt;http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass&gt;" class="">http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>

Re: yarp and Kinect

Stéphane Lallée
Hi,

I would strongly suggest you to look here instead :

It is multiplatform, document and quite heavily tested.

Have fun,
Stephane

Stéphane Lallée

Fusionopolis, Tower South 10#104
Singapore
(+65) 6408 2074

[...]

One is an external module that works well with Kinect SDK and the old, deprecated OpenNI.

The other is a proper YARP driver (yarpdev) in the main YARP tree that works only with OpenNI2, in Linux and OS X (and yes, properly documented and heavily tested). And has some additional options for geometric corrections (in the sensor’s hardware), RGB-D frame syncing (also in sensor’s hardware), recording  and playing back the sensors streams, changing the minimum confidence, changing RGB and depth resolutions, disable/enable mirroring etc.

BUT, it is only a driver, not a library, i.e., it exposes the functionality and the data of the sensor to you through a yarpdev device. (like a yarpdev grabber, but for RGBD sensors). So you just start a yarpdev —device OpenNI2DeviceServer —with-all-the-options-you-like and you get 3 ports, one streaming RGB, one streaming depth YarpImages and one (optionally) for skeleton tracking.

So, use what makes your life easier and is closer to the needs of your project :)

Best regards,
Kostas Theofilis

On Jun 5, 2015, at 12:35 AM, Stéphane Lallée <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

As long as the poison is not windows-based :D

Best,
Kostas Theofilis

On Jun 5, 2015, at 1:14 AM, Stéphane Lallée <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Giovanni Saponaro-2
On 4 June 2015 at 15:45, Anthony Morse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tony,

As other people pointed out, there are a number of options and your
mileage may vary :) also depending on your OS and sensor (Kinect v1,
Kinect v2, Asus, ...).

I have used Kostantinos' OpenNI2 driver succesfully, and also the ROS
OpenNI driver (redirecting topics to yarp ports, see
https://github.com/robotology/yarp/issues/262).

Ciao,
-Giovanni