yarpdev --verbose fix

paulfitz
Administrator
Hi all,

Just a quick note on an important YARP fix in CVS.

The "verbose" option for yarpdev is supposed to list the options any
device being created is looking for.  But it looks like it has been
broken for a while.  Thanks to Frank Forster for pointing this out.
There's a fix now in CVS.  So instead of getting "verbose" results like
this:

  $ yarpdev --device test_grabber --verbose

== Options checked by device:
==
==

They'll be more like this:

== Options checked by device:
==
device=test_grabber
grabber.subdevice=test_grabber
   name (or nested configuration) of device to wrap
test_grabber.device=test_grabber
test_grabber.width [128]
   desired width of test image
test_grabber.height [128]
   desired height of test image
test_grabber.freq
   rate of test images in Hz
test_grabber.period
   period of test images in seconds
test_grabber.mode [line]
   bouncy [ball], scrolly [line], grid [grid], random [rand]
grabber.no_drop
   if present, use strict policy for sending data
grabber.stamp
   if present, add timestamps to data
grabber.name [/grabber]
   name of port to send data on
grabber.framerate [0]
   maximum rate in Hz to read from subdevice
grabber.single_threaded
   if present, operate in single threaded mode
==

Thanks to Frank for pointing out this problem,
Paul

Re: yarpdev --verbose fix <-> opencv_grabber

Frank Förster
Thanks for fixing this Paul.

Hint, when using opencv grabber to access a firewire camera:

It might be helpful for some to know that specifically for the opencv
grabber module
the -camera option might be a bit misleading. It's rather the
framework/driver, that is used
to access the camera than the camera itself that is specified through
this option. I think
one can also specify the camera index itself somehow, but I never
needed to do that so far.

Especially for the Mac users this option can be misleading, as it's not

yarpdev --device opencv_grabber --camera CV_CAP_FIREWIRE

which let's you access the firewire camera, but

yarpdev --device opencv_grabber --camera CV_CAP_QT
(CV_CAP_ANY also worked for me)

as the Quicktime framework must be used to access firewire cameras/
devices.
When specifiying CV_CAP_FIREWIRE the libraw1394 library is needed,
that doesn't exist on
the Mac (and which I couldn't manage to compile there manually).
At the moment there's also a version problem under Ubuntu 8.10,
that won't let you use the opencv_grabber to access your firewire
cameras, as
OpenCV needs an outdated libraw1394, which was replaced by a newer
version. The latter
again is needed by the current ffmpeg, which on the other hand seems
to be needed
by OpenCV to access your firewire camera. I say 'seems' because I
never managed to make
it work under Linux and didn't reach the point of making it work.

But also devices not supported by libraw1394 can be possibly accessed
via the opencv grabber.
There are alternative frameworks encapsulated in OpenCV for doing
this, which are refered
to by other constants.

Have a look at the possible constants/defines in highgui.h of OpenCV to
see all the possible constants that determine which specific framework
is used to access
your device.

Cheers

Frank