Quantcast

yarpview video record question

Anthony Morse
Hi,

I’ve recorded a stream of still images from yarp view, is there a standard or straightforward way to turn this into a movie?

Thanks
Tony
________________________________
[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>

Re: yarpview video record question

Lorenzo Jamone
Probably not a "standard" (it is though straightforward), but I would do it with either MovieMaker (windows) or OpenShot (linux-ubuntu).
Don't know whether there is a YARP-way...

Ciao!
Lorenzo

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Anthony Morse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I’ve recorded a stream of still images from yarp view, is there a standard or straightforward way to turn this into a movie?

Thanks
Tony
________________________________
[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>

Re: yarpview video record question

pattacini

What about using dataDumper (http://wiki.icub.org/iCub/main/dox/html/group__dataDumper.html) ?

Ugo

Re: yarpview video record question

Pedro Vicente
You can try to use ffmpeg software, like this:

" ffmpeg -r 40 -i %08d.ppm video.mpg "

where -r 40 is the bitrate and -i the input images

Cheers

What about using dataDumper (http://wiki.icub.org/iCub/main/dox/html/group__dataDumper.html) ?

Ugo

Re: yarpview video record question

Lars Schillingmann
Hi all,

ffmpeg has some documentation about this here:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Create%20a%20video%20slideshow%20from%20images

In general using the mp4 container and the h264 codec will provide smaller filesizes and better quality (e.g. compared to mpeg).
In this case the command would look like:
ffmpeg -r 30 -i '%08d.ppm' -crf 18 video.mp4
The lower the crf parameter the higher the quality. 18 usually produces very good quality.
The parameter -r is the frame rate (not the bitrate).
If you want to spend more cpu time creating a smaller file:
ffmpeg -r 30 -i '%08d.ppm' -crf 18 -preset veryslow video.mp4

Please also note the discussion on this mailing list around 2014-08-17. mkvmerge can be helpful in generating time accurate videos.

In case you use ubuntu. ffmpeg is not shipped with ubuntu by default, but you can compile from sources:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Generic

Or you use libav which is a fork of ffmpeg. Package name: libav-tools, binary name: avconv.
They largely overlap in functionality syntax and api.
Some sites also provide binaries, e.g. for mac osx such as:
http://ffmpegmac.net/

Best
Lars